1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New to the board

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WildWes, Apr 23, 2002.

1. WildWes

WildWes LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I just found this discussion forum and feel it may be quite useful. I was looking for a manual for an old Encore mower that needs a little tlc, it's been a fine piece of equipment, but now needs some new belts, bearings, etc.

I do residential landscape maintenance on the side, I've eliminated mowing from my one-man operations, but I'm considering picking up a few accounts to have a weekly "base-pay" to count on. It's been several years since trying to run a full service type company and I'm looking for advice on hourly rates, mowing rates etc.

I haven't had time to really look over the threads, but any pointers or links to particular threads would be appreciated.
    Thanks, WW:)
  2. WildWes

WildWes LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I guess maybe a little clarification might help. When I started my business $15/hr. was a common rate. As I'm looking to move up from "side-jobs" I'm curious if $25/hr. is substancial enough to make money and pay taxes. My overhead is zero as I have all nec. tools. I don't want to be the low bidder on every job because of past experience. Your thoughts??
  3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Welcome aboard... I have to run out so I'll be brief.

Shoot for $35 and up per hour. You may have low overhead but it is not Zero! Gas, insurance, replacement, repair, etc.. to name a few.

Might want to try to get in touch with the manufacturer for manual..

Good Luck!
  4. WildWes

WildWes LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Thanks, I was thinking of something more in the $30 range but didn't want to go so high as to not be able to get enough jobs. I have several friends in the business (both owners and employees), but getting info out of them is like trying to get blood from a turnip!! The reason I gave up on my initial business was a lack of info. I tried the SBA and found they were simply a waste of time---typical govt. agency...

My current regulars are always satisfied with my work and I don't intend to raise rates across the board, for instance I give my dentist great rates and she does the same for me. Anyway, thanks for the welcome, I intend to be checking back regularly.:)