1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New to the business and looking for marketing ideas

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnscaperman, Feb 7, 2003.

1. lawnscaperman

lawnscaperman LawnSite Member

I am currently the sales manager of a lawn equipment business and I'm starting my own lawn mowing service. I've got a new Exmark Lazer Z 52" with a 20HP Kohler with a pair of Echo trimmers and one Stihl BG85 blower and a backup Echo PB210E blower. I've got the equipment, I just need a few pointers on marketing my services. I've already got a few accounts, but I'd like to get about 35-40 and go into this fulltime.
    Do flyers actually work?
    What about door hangers?
    Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Check out the elements of business forum here at Lawnsite. There are a lot of ideas from door hangers, fliers, direct mail, newspaper ads, etc and how effectively they work.
    Most important thing to do is get your name out there now! Get magnetic signs or vinyl lettering for your truck. I'm not saying you are going to tons of calls from it, but you want the public to become familiar with your name.

What about where you work? Can you advertise your services there to homeowners that shop there? Probably not going to get a lot from it, but you may able to be able to snag a couple accounts.

With fliers/doorhangers be prepared to lay them out heavy. Can't put out a couple hundred and expect a ton of calls. You'll need to put 1,000's of them out to get some return.

Good luck,