"new to the business and need ....."

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Jan 30, 2006.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

What is it with all of these "new guys" bidding these "big", "huge", commercial properties? WTF:confused: my advise, if your gonna bid on commercial properties you better have all your ducks in a row. That is something I am very reluctant to reply to only because I had to learn that if I had absolutely no idea what I should be bidding then I probably shouldn't be bidding this at all. It's not rocket science but if you don't even know what your hourly rate should be then I'm guessing you might want to start getting an actual business together.

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Because they are so new, they just don't understand the business... and in their mind, they see these huge properties as a way to "make a killing".
    Almost anyone just starting out has thought, "if only I could get a few huge accounts, i'll be on my way."... but it's just not the right way to go about building a business.

3. nobagger

from Pa

I see your point but maybe if they did some, even the slightest bit of research they will have some clue. But no, everyone who picks up a mower is a landscaper right? Whatever, this site is turning into the Kid's WB of lawn care. My point was that I personally wouldn't even think of bidding on something in this nature until I had a good idea of what it takes. In more cases than not you guys tell them this, that and the other thing instead of telling them the truth.

4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Even alot of experienced guys aren't ready for properties over 5-6 acres, because they aren't used to bidding anything that big. If you've only done residential and small commecial for 15 years, you would definitly do some asking around before you take on a 50 acre complex.

In the same token I do agree with you guys, a newbie really shouldn't be doing any large properties If he doesn't know what to charge.

5. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I see where your coming from nobagger. I was thinking of this today also. Theres alot of new people joining this site every day and the professionalizm is slowly going out the door.

When I first joined the site there was alot of knowledgable people that gave alot of good info. I think some people are realizing "hey this is my competition why am I helping them" thinking that if they don't help these newbies they'll soon fail and get out. But theres probably multiple reasons why the response quality (i guess you could call it that) has been down.

Anymore I come on here just to see whats going on and talk with people. I will post questions and I weed through and find the good info and the bad info and go from there.

6. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I understand your point, however, how will anyone, experienced or not, get good at bidding large properties if they never do it? On the other hand, I certainly don't think 16 year olds in their first year should try and tackle bidding a large account. But somewhere along the way even those that may be somewhat inexperienced have to take the first step with large properties, I know I did, and it paid off.

7. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

The whole point is to know your cost and know what you need and want to make.

I was lucky, I knew how to bid when I started my business, so it wasn't a hit and miss hope i make money adventure.

8. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I believe there are other contributing factors to bidding a large job accurately than just knowing your costs.

9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

im not ready, im not experienced enough... i know this and will not lose my butt, or drag the pricing structure down in my area because im just a sophmore....other may, but i WILL NOT :nono:

10. nobagger

from Pa

Yeah JPOCKET but how much of an acurite bid can you gain from asking in here. Not a slam to anyone but you and only you should know what you need to make, your operating expenses etc. How are we supposed to know the sq footage of xyz company or a 3 acre plot. Does it have 95 trees on it? does it have 60 degree slopes? For all we know these crackerjack's could be trying to use a 21" on 5 acres. I just would hope that if you are lucky enough to be in this business for 15 years you should have a clue as to what you need to bid.