new to the business......just got 5 accounts today!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by camaro69ssdude, Jan 16, 2008.

1. camaro69ssdude

camaro69ssdude LawnSite Member

i have some history in custom landscape installs and alittle bit in lawn car, but i decided tos tart on my own for a weekend job for extra money, i ended up landing 5 accounts today is that pretty good?

2. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I would consider that REALLY good. Especially around this time of year. Are the on contracts? commercial or residential? How did you get them?

3. camaro69ssdude

they are residential, about an average of $100 a month all within in walking distance of each other, my buddys mom just got sick of her lco and decided to give me a chance and all ehr neighbors are with her on it

4. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, that's really good. Keep it up

5. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

I would take the work but I don't like it when a group of clients know each other and come aboard at the same time.

Few years back I had 4 on a street and 2 of them were related. I didn't like one of the yards, raised the price and lost them all. I seem to remember them bargaining me down because they were a group. I'm sure they played that game before.

And now, I have 4 all in a row, Snow and 3 of them for lawns. But one of them tried to bargain me down last year when I was raising prices. I refused, and I'm not so sure I'll have them this coming year. I still am doing the snow removal for all 4 but I don't know about the lawns.

As well, one of the lawns, I don't even want anymore because the guy pressured me into cutting it way too short, I did it to shut him up. He actually told me that all I do it cut the tips off:laugh: I go that's what it's about!

A few weeks later he complained to me how awful his grass looks and he never had a lawn look so bad but I told him that I cut the neighbours to (his friend) and their lawn looks great.

He started doing his own cleanups and fert a couple years ago (back then he was complaining about his fert company) and last year his grass, besides being weedy, looked liked it was combed over sideways.

So I'm almost counting on losing them all. Those that come in groups leave in groups kinda like a housing project:laugh:

6. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

congrats... nice way to start off the year!

7. camaro69ssdude

thanks, i mean i have to start somewhere and im taking what i can get all i have to start with is my ranger pickup, a honda 21", a echo handheld blower, and a echo trimmer. have to make some cash somehow so i can upgrade to get the better accounts, my full time company that i work for is thinkiong of letting me do their commercial account to, just have to do a little more convincing, i could do their account with what i have now because its just a small lawn in a business park setting

8. Edmond_Dantes

Edmond_Dantes LawnSite Member

I'm going to take any and all business I can get. Congrats! You can always cull customers or price yourself out later. Getting customers seems to be the tricky part. I'm landing about a 1 to 10 ratio. Taking a newspaper ad out next week. Good luck to everyone! :gunsfirin

9. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

Camaro. . . Welcome to LawnSite!

10. jphag

jphag LawnSite Member

Yes, if your not doing the work for peanuts.