1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New to the business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by pepsiman, May 14, 2006.

1. pepsiman

pepsiman LawnSite Member

This is my first year and I have 3 residential accounts that I cut on a weekly basis and a few more that are cut every week and a half to two weeks. I'm advertising in the local news papers and on the grocery store community boards. I know I need to hand out flyer's's but I just don't have time to do it with my full time job and mowing.

I started out cutting with a 21" Honda, craftsman trimmer and a broom. I just bought a Toro 36" belt drive turbo force with T-Bar controls and Stihl BG85 blower. I added a striping and mulcher kit to the mower and paid right at 3500.00 including install for the kits. I'm hoping i'm not getting in over my head. I have been turned down several times for my price being too high cutting with a 21". I'm hoping now that I have a commercial mower I can get more accounts by charging less. I have trouble getting people to pay over $35.00.

I really want to make my way through this business so I can quit my full time job and mow full time but I just can't seem to pick up that many customers. I have always had a passion for making my yard look good and the customers I have love how I take care of thier yard. Any ideas how to get more customers or things I should do would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Dogbonz

Dogbonz LawnSite Senior Member

yes, use the search bar above to look up specific things and keep reading here,,,,, Go click on my user name above and go read some of my recent posts about my story in my short 1.5 years of part time,,, but theres a whole lot of info all over this sight ,,, go read for about 2 days and then come back with some real questions!!! :hammerhead: :dizzy: Just kidding,, :laugh: :waving: welcome aboard!
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Sir, it has been my experience that when I quote the price I want to get for a yard, I tend to get a turnover rate as low as one out of ten customers say yes, as many as 9 out of 10 say no. That has been my experience with standard industry rates, nothing outrageous pricewise but I refuse to be 'cheaper' and that does it.

I find with a commercial mower, if you can get $35 with a 21", why should I do it for less? Fact is, I also spent right around 3,600 on my 48" Toro with stripe kit and I'm going to get PAID for these beautiful lawns I am turning out, and bluntly speaking those who don't like it can call a low-baller and they can fend it out amongst themselves, you are on the right path.

Hence, it takes time. Sorry to be blunt again, but think years. Not too many, but more than one and maybe a little longer than two.
    Continue to advertise in the newspaper, also while you're at it, why not list your business in Yahoo local ! It's free, I listed mine back in February and got a call last week (and a job out of it), so granted it doesn't produce miracle phone ringing of the hook but I can not complain.
    Here's the thread on how to do it, and so:
  4. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

Not to hijack the thread here but Topsites from the posts I've read you Sir seem to have an interesting take on running business. You seem to give me a different perspective that i may not have otherwise thought of.

I too signed up recently for the yahoo online listing and free site.

You can't beat free advertising!!!

All Clear