New To The Business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Thelawncowboy, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Thelawncowboy

Thelawncowboy LawnSite Member

Hello I am Mark Pena from Brownsville, Texas. I just recently started my lawn care business about two weeks ago. Ive been putting up door hangers, flyers and passing out business cards like a maniac. I still dont have any business am i rushing things or can someone give me ideas on how to advertise my business. Here in the south texas mexicans come cut grass for $20, can that be one of the reasons. Any info would really be appreciated.

Thank You

2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

word of mouth is one of the biggest things you can do. Do a great job and the word will get around. Welcome to lawnsite!!!!! There are so many nice people on here that will be able to help you out also!!!:waving: :waving:

3. Thelawncowboy

Thanks alot. Nice to hear that there are alot of nice people here would really appreciate all the help i can get. :)

4. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep plugging away. This time of year people have service already or as the grass goes dormant just are not thinking about a provider. Spring will come with the hot weather and if they still have your card the phone will ring. After that it is a vicious cycle.

5. Thelawncowboy

TY ...... keep em coming.

6. Thelawncowboy

Would it be a bad idea to do the first services for really cheap to give a sample and if they like the services you give em a proposal??

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I wouldn't do a cheapo first service...instead offer some incentive, like a free cut after the first month of service. Don't give the first service away for free or you might get taken advantage of.

People hate to give things away but that's how it works to lure in new clients. Once they see your good work, then you can charge more and still keep them. Someone calling you off a flyer, then don't know you from Adam so you have to have something to catch their interest.

8. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

Be Patient it is really not the best time of year to get started Maybe try for some cleanups to get your foot in the door for next spring

9. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

like you i started out the same way a few years ago . first year 4 accounts. then second year went to 35 accounts ,by third year went to 76. had to let 30 accounts go to a local guy just starting out because i work a full time night job .now I'm getting back up their again need to make a decision one way or the other. ALWAYS REMEMBER ONE MATTER HOW BUSY YOU GET DON'T LET YOUR QUALITY DOWN ..........good luck

10. Newbie07

Newbie07 LawnSite Member

Im in Texas also and this is a bad time to start, we only have maybe three or four more cuts. most of mine have stopped completely. And we are now getting ready to do fall work, try passing out fliers for that. Im sure you will be able to find some business there. Then read, read, read on this site and be ready to go by the first week of march.

Travis