New to the Business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kessler&sons, Jul 30, 2007.

1. kessler&sons

kessler&sons LawnSite Member

All,

Looking for some advice with regard to equipment. I am helping my son start a lawn care business and wanted your thoughts on a walk behing zero turn. We are looking at the Bob-Cat 48" clasic pro with the kawasaki enging or the comparable Toro 48" gear drive with the kawasaki engine. Both are $ 2800 - $ 2900.

Thanks

2. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

buy a hydro drive mower they are far Superior

3. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Whats the difference?

4. gavin478

gavin478 LawnSite Member

I second that, spend the money and go hydro with a sulky, your body will thank you.

5. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

get the toro! and get the tbar control on it. its way better than any pistol grip out there! and if you can get the hydro, the get that. gear drives usually ttend to slip wehn mowing on hills and in the rain. hydros are more efficient and will last longer, and you dont have to go out and buy the 60$ gear drive belts when they break! go with hydro/toro. and if you get the fixed deck, youll need an impast wrench. kawisaki engines are great also!

thanks, hope i could help.
    if you have anymore ?'s just reply. ill check it!

6. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    impact wrench. sorry for spelling!

7. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

Hydrostatic drives are maybe a little expensive for the newbie. Consider where your service center is and who will give you better service when dealing with parts. Having said that, I think that Toro produces a better product and leaves a better cut. Good Luck.

8. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

well said. i run bob cats with great luck but they will be vertually the same. like he said, service is key, go with the good dealer. i dont really use my WB's much any more put do have the step up with the larger rear tires. they help alot more than you would think when climbing curbs and over rocks. it costs slightly more but might be worth it depending on how into this new job he is.

as far as the belt drives, they work perfect until they are wet. then you'll wish you had the hydro, but if hes new and only doing a dozen or two he can skip rainy days unlike many of us. hope this helps

9. kessler&sons

kessler&sons LawnSite Member

All,

Thanks for the help - decided to go with the Toro because the dealer gave an excellent price $ 2500 and has an excellent service department.