New to the Business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Thumb Lawncare, May 28, 2003.

1. Green Thumb Lawncare

Green Thumb Lawncare LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Just starting out in the business. Currently work full-time and mow in the evenings after a long day of sitting behind a desk. Most of my yards have small gates (33"-36" wide). Was wondering if it is best to buy a 32" walk-behind or a 32"-33" rear engine rider. The ones that I have looked at are the 32" Yazoo-Kees WB and the 33" Hi-vac Snapper rear engine rider. What would you suggest to be the better of the two, or any other options on mowers?:alien:

2. a1 lawncare

a1 lawncare LawnSite Member

go with a w/b (walk behind) preferably a hydro if the ole ***** national bank can stand it, buy good commercial grade equipment asap and you'll never regret it. also get licensed and insured. guy in a high roller section here told me he was checked for his lic. he found out the fine is 500$ verses a less than 30$ lic. something to think about. fortunately it wasn't one of our guys, he's a painter and even put a sign up in the yard. duh!!!!!!!!!!!

oh yea! welcome to lawnsite

3. Green Thumb Lawncare

Green Thumb Lawncare LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Thanks. What brand would you suggest, I know that Yazoo has been around for a number of years, but would a Scags, John Deere, or something else be better, or are they pretty much the same across the board? I guess a lot of the answer to this is probably which ever one has good local parts and service.

4. a1 lawncare

a1 lawncare LawnSite Member

i like exmark. but everone of the manufactors are building better equipment all the time, the main thing, i can't strees enough is be sure and buy commercial equipment. if you don't you'll be kickin yourself in the butt for not doing it soon enough. for the most input on this subject do a search or post a new topic for a particular machine, such as best w/b for the money, or which brand of w/b. this place has more info than you could read if you lived to be 150. and a vast amount of knowledge, wish i'd found it sooner.

good luck, i got to hit it

5. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

lesco is pretty good bang for the buck

I believe Scag to be the best but you will have to pay alot more up front for it

6. NYRookie

NYRookie LawnSite Member

Don't buy **** becaue it is cheaper. I bought a Troy-Built 33" w/b just for the smaller properties and I hate it. I paid $1500 for it and when I tried to trade it in on an Exmark w/b, they afford me $400. It was only 1 year old. Now I am stuck with a mower I don't use and still have to get a w/b. Buy commercial equipment, preferably a hydro it will last you a long time.