New to the Business

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by EPP200, Oct 9, 2000.

1. EPP200

EPP200 LawnSite Member

Hello everyone. I have spent the last few days reading the posts on this site. I have learned alot. This message board is GREAT. This is my FIRST year snowplowing. I have seen Chuck's webpage (and have ordered his book, should be arriving soon I hope). I also just received an application from SIMA and will be joining that this week (especially after all the great things I read in this forum about SIMA).

My question is: SIMA offers a video for beginning snowplowing. Has anyone seen it? Is it worth purchasing?

Looking forward to snowplowing and networking with everyone. It is very comforting to know that there are many out there (on this site) that are willing to help out those of us that are NEW to snowplowing.

Sincerely, ED

2. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're just starting out, the video is worth it. Professionally done, to the point, no B.S., basic.
    Best video on the market today, for the beginning plower.

3. Matt

Matt LawnSite Member

EPP2000 Totally agree with John, starting out or new employees will benefit greatly by the video. Also show it to all plowers just to get everybody thinking about heir routine when plowing. Hopefully we (SIMA) will have a more advanced version out next year. Thank you to Kyle for his time and professionalism in this video.
    Matt

4. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Yes it is a good video. For first time plowers, or even as a refresher for 2cd year plowers it really fits the bill.
    And Kyle did a great job, but there were alot of other people who put alot of time into the video also. Just not as near as much time as Kyle did. I did volunteer to go the the UP and plow, but seems I didnt get to do the fun part.
    Now that brings another point up, do we really like this stuff so much that we will actually give up a week of our time, just to plow it for free??
    Dino

5. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Hey send a guy up with a camera. I show him stuff that you see in maine, that you won't see anywhere else. Basicly i show you the wrong way to plow. Plowing snow accross the street ( i don't do this one, however everyone else does), plowing 6 to 8" of snow at a time ( residential only), useing sand ( i use some salt), having a 12 hour route ( some guys have 18). I guess on the good side i could show you how to plow a road, we do a lot of that and are very good at it.

Geoff

6. Aspen Snow

Aspen Snow LawnSite Member

We purchused the video and tihnk it is great. We are going to make all of our drivers watch it. It is basic, but it show some points that are some time missed.

7. John Allin

It was meant to be basic. And, Kyle didn't do it on his own. He did have help. Alot of it.

We have plans to do more videos, but we need someone to step up to the plate and pony up the $40,000 or more to get it done. Some manufacturers have expressed an interest, but so far, that's it - interest.

We're working on some people to help. Interestingly enough a couple of manufacturers called me after the video came out and read me the riot act about how the video only showed Fisher and Western equipment. I let them moan and groan for awhile, and then asked if they wanted their equipment in the next video. All excited, they emphatically stated that "they sure did". Then I told them what it would cost, and the tune changed.... fast.

So, we will see who makes it happen for real instead of just groaning about who's equipment is being used.

I'm not bashing any vendor, because it takes big bucks to do up a good video. It's just that some were throwing stones before knowing the score.

Glad you liked it. It IS great for beginners.

8. iowastorm

iowastorm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Good job for giving those whiners a bit of their own medicine. John: can I be you when I grow up?

9. John Allin

You wanna be a short little fat guy too ???

10. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I'm not a member of sima(yet),becouse I don't a will not own a plow truck for a year or 2.I do residential snow removal with my mowers.But when I take the step up to the plow truck,I will most likely join.I was wondering what the video instructs new people on????What are some of the things that the video teaches???