New to the Business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jamolloy, May 13, 2004.

1. jamolloy

jamolloy LawnSite Member

I am new to this whole business. I have a friend who does lawn care and he got me interested in starting one. I live in a quiet neighborhood with a LOT of nice residential lots.

I would like to know how to go about getting their business? The only equipment I have o use is my pushmower. I do not want to spend a whole lot of money (or none!) if I don't have to in getting started.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
    Jason

2. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Sounded like me 3 years ago. lol. The only thing i had back then was my john deere push mower, wead wacker (trimmer) and a cheap craftsman leaf blower. That did me well for the first year, but then i got more customers and its made me realize that my blower was unreliable. Needless to say my 350.00 trimmer was stolen. So yea, a mower, trimmer and blower is all you need.

3. jamolloy

jamolloy LawnSite Member

I guess what I need to do now is go around and put flyers in peoples mailboxes to tell them about my lawncare.

4. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

i think its a little late for that. lol ive been mowing allready for 2 months. try it, but putting it in mail boxes is illegal

5. billc

billc LawnSite Member

Good luck! One thing you might do is go to a home that needs to be cut, knock on the door, explain you're just starting in business and offer to do it for a reasonable price - say $20. You'll probably get some no's but a few yesses will give you practice doing someone else's lawn and you may end up with a few customers.

6. travis strecker

travis strecker LawnSite Member

i just started to and i have 7 yards weekly

exmark 21
    stihl 110rx
    stihl 110fc
    stihl br420magnum
    bt45 planting auger
    scotts mower
    redmax trimmer

7. jamolloy

jamolloy LawnSite Member

Thank you all for your kind replies....I have a pretty big neighborhood so I should be able to get some business..Is it illegal to put flyers in mailboxes. Petr5148 says it is.....I just want to know from other people......Petr5148, don't take this the wrong way but I just want to get other input from it...Thanks for understanding

8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi jamolloy,

Congratulations on getting your business started.

Yes.

Why not walk around your area on the weekends and hand out flyers. Meet your neighbors and let them know you are now in the business and ready to help!

Give us updates as you grow.

9. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

Glad I'm in Canada, not illegal up here. Best of luck !!

10. bkj1975

bkj1975 LawnSite Member

you can put flyers on mailboxes, just not inside them.