New to the group with an interesting question

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by tmjess, Sep 28, 2006.

1. tmjess

tmjess LawnSite Member

OK first post so here goes….

I have been skulking around in the shadows of this site for just under a month. I joined earlier this week and now I am ready to post. I will eventually own my own business but for the time being I am trying to read as much as I can and bring my skills (Keeping yards green, equipment, maintenance, etc..) up to par.

Because of my demanding work schedule (which will be to cut back.. my choice) I show up at dark and leave at dark (no time for my own lawn) I have had a service for several years…. The first guy (Solo Op) I had was awesome, but he gave up the biz after he graduated college… The next guy (Company owned but not the Owner) I got not so great.

What is the best way you have been told to hit the road? I figured some if not the majority of you have been let-go or otherwise replaced at least at one point in your career. Do you have a story to tell about the correct way? End result I will take on the responsibility of doing my own LC, just want to know is there a good way to do this?

- Thanks
    TMJess

2. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to the forum.
    Sorry I can't really be of help with your specific Q.
    Just want to welcome you to the site and tell you it is good to have someone "in the back yard." I grew up on the outskirts, just north of Marietta. Have been gone from there for over twenty years but still come over frequently as my Mom is still in same house; Sandy Plains at Canton Rd..

3. tmjess

tmjess LawnSite Member

Thanks Jim...

I been here in Georgia for about 10 yrs. Originally I am a Yankee from Rhode Island the weather is better down here.

Anyway I am just looking to see if maybe I should just tell them (they two the cut the lawn) I have had enough or if I should contact the main office and explain why I no longer want their service. I do not want to get anyone in trouble but I would assume they would want to know why I am getting rid of them. Maybe they will want to make some corrections or re-teach the people the skill.

- Tmjess

4. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

I may be misunderstanding what you are saying, but if we are on the same page, then you, as the supervisor can make a big deal out of the fact that reputations, yours and the company's are being compromised. You may or may not be authorized to resolve any issue at your discretion. If not, then you need to work it from that angle.

5. tmjess

tmjess LawnSite Member

I guess I see the angle… But as the Homeowner I am asking would you as the business owner want me to call and try to talk to the boss and explain why I am no longer needing your service, or should I just send a cancellation letter with my next bill?

If I was the manager I would want to know why someone was no longer in need of my service. But that just might be me.

- TMJess

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

As an owner, I like to hear honestly why they cancelled....hard to say if you really get the honest truth or not, but feedback is good. Especially if you have crews it's not feasible to check each job each week.

I would rather a customer express dissatisfaction early on so the problem can be corrected...I hate when someone cancels with a problem that a simple phone call weeks earlier could have resolved. But a lot of people don't want to be perceived as "complainers" so they just get to the point where they cancel.

7. GearHead_1

GearHead_1 LawnSite Member
    from Utah

Just curious have you had "the discussion" with them. Have you given them a chance to correct the problem. Sometimes the problem is a misunderstanding of expectations. If this has been done, tell the boss to hit the road. At the very least he may have an employee that's costing him business and he doesn't know to what degree.

8. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I agree with gearhead. If you dont tell the owner why you are not happy then he can't improve. If you decide to cancel service then atleast give him a polite reason why. If you blow up on an answering machine he will think less of you and wont really care about losing your business. I hope he was honest with you when trying to gain your busness, the least you can do is explain why your not happy with his services.