New to the Site! Considering Lawn Care Business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lawnguy170, Aug 22, 2005.

1. lawnguy170

lawnguy170 LawnSite Member

Hi everyone,

I've been reading posts for about a month, but i just joined the site as a member. I've been considering opening a lawn care business and i'm in the process of doing lots of research before i make any sort of decision.

My plan is for the business to be a full time endevor and i'm willing to work as much or as hard as it takes to make it successful.

I'd really appreciate any type of advice from a business perspective that you guys might offer.

Here's a little info about me.

I'm in the north alabama area
    I'm 28 years old (plan on going at this thing solo)
    I dont have much liquid cash to start with, so i'd be getting a loan
    I have a decent mechanical background so repairs/maintenance wont be an issue for me to personally do
    I used to work on a golf course maintenance crew, so the equipment won't be completely foreign to me either.
    I really enjoy the outdoors and love cutting grass

I'll take a look at the responses and i'll definately post again.

Thanks in advance,

Brad

2. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome Brad, figure out the type of trailer you want as well, as for equipment, shop around, I ended up at HD and bought my 21" Toro from them, it has paid for it self, just maintain them well......word of mouth works best, tried flyer's, ads, classified ads......ad just came out in the Yellow Book....nothing yet....you can do it.....the search button helps as well.....

3. lawnguy170

How long have you been in business? Do you REALLY enjoy what you do?

4. lawnguy170

BTW Everyone,

My plan is to be VERY Professional (from the look of the truck and equipment, to the way i dress everyday, to the look of the flyers/ad's) and VERY Dependable. It seems to me that there are quite a few lawn care businesses around me that don't see that as being very important. Even some of the big ones with large yellow page ads.

Brad

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Well, before you jump on in, I would suggest that you ask around and see how many people in your area need/are looking for a lco. It is rather late in the season to be starting a business but nothing is impossible.

6. lawnguy170

i guess i should have mentioned. IF i start, it will be next year. i have commitments at my current job at least thru november. i might could get the process going at the end of this year with hopes of getting business early next year

7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i spent the winter and early spring, getting insurance set up, vending license in my state ( check your own area). Designing flyers, getting deals on printing. Finding places to advertise, and went for it in the spring ready to go....