New to this board... have a few Q's...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TROTTMAN, Jul 5, 2003.

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

Hey everyone, I am new to this board.

I do have a few questions I have been wondering about.

First of all, what exactly does a striping kit do. I know its a roller at the back of the deck and that it makes the cut look better.

Also, how do you reverse a hydro? I know most of them go faster in forward by pulling harder/further. Basically, how do hydrostatic walk behinds work (both single and dual).

How easy are the wider walk behind mowers to maneuver? I have a Sutech Stealth right now (33") and it is very easy to move around, but it is a very light weight mower at 300 lbs and very compact. I want to buy a 48+ mower, but I don't know if I should quite yet.

Also, the biggest issue to me is what do all of you about getting the wider mowers through gates. I have several lawn accounts where my mower literally scrapes through the gate on both sides and one where it doesn't fit. I know if I buy a 48"+ mower I will have a lot of trouble getting it in and out of gates. Are there any tricks of the trade to fit them in sometimes?

And my last question: Are there any readily available mulching kits available for a Gravely Hydro Pro 50" mower deck? I am about to buy this mower likely and it only has side discharge as of now. I ONLY use mulching mowers for the most part and I'd like to get a good kit with nice blades and baffles so that it will mulch really well.

Sorry for the lengthy E-mail, but thanks for the help!
  2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

You will have more control and ease of use with another walkbehind. That is if my memory serves me well about your mower.

If you are already scraping w/33" deck, you have 2 choices, avoid those lawns or get a 32" commercial mower. For more cutting width, you can also add a Flex-Deck....(where is Mr. Flex-Deck anyways?)

Not sure about the mulch kit for the 50" Gravely Pro G, but I believe there is one. Someone can answer that better.

Now guys...seems there was some issue with the 50" Gravelys??? Something is sticking in my mind about it because I know I looked at one when I was shopping.
  3. Cooper Landscaping

Cooper Landscaping LawnSite Member

If youre interested in getting a larger hydro wb unit go for. although i have no experience with hydro units i have been told that they are very easy to manuever once you get used to them. as for the back yards with gates- keep the mower you currently have for doing gated back yards and use the bigger new one for the front yards and non gated back yards. I would suggest looking into a smaller deck with a flex deck attachment but it seems to me theyre quite pricey. Either way your productivity will increase greatly by getting a deck in the 50" range.

As for the mulch kit on the Gravely 50" i have no idea.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

There is no Gravely Pro G 50". He has the mower prior to the Pro G series. It would be a Pro 300. If it has the fabricated deck it's not too bad. If it's the stamped deck I would buy it.

To my recollection there are no mulch kits available for the 50" deck.

A dual drive Gravely hydro works like this. It's basically the same as a gear drive except for reverse. You have a main speed control lever. The further forward you move it the faster the mower will go. There is 1 hand control on each handle bar. The left control operates the left wheel and the right one operates the right wheel. When you start the mower both hand controls will locked in the nuetral position. You grab the hand controls, unlock the nuetral locks with your thumb and as you SLOWLY release the hand controls the mower will move forward. When the hand controls are fully released the mower will move forward at the speed you set with the main speed control lever. To get the mower into reverse you simply squeeze the hand controls until the mower stops. Then squeeze the controls further until the mower starts to back up.
  5. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup, that's exactly how the hydros work. Go out and demo some mowers before you buy. Also, when you do demo mowers DO NOT become discouraged if you have trouble at first turning them (when you want to) or keeping a straight line. I guarantee a couple of hours out cutting properties and you will be right as rain. A field to practice in is a good idea at first so you can learn how to not leave divots. It won't take you long. Basically, when you first start out with a hydro slow way down when you make turns.

Hydros are extremely easy to maneuver. Mine has a castoring type (in-line) sulky that I can take on and off in less than a minute with two pins, which has been a huge benefit on my properties. I have a couple with wide open fronts & backs with lots of obstacles. I'll ride the front, get to the back & pull off the sulky, walk behind the very complicated perimeter twice, then put the sulky back on and mow the open part of the back.

Buy the hydro. Just do it. You will not be sad. Get one in the 50 range or so, like the guys have said. Productivity will go way, way up.

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Why wouldn't a large company like Gravely make a mulch kit for that deck? A couple of reasons. Mulching grass is a relatively new concept for commercial mowers. That mower is a '99 and I suspect the old guys at Gravely hadn't even given a thought to mulching with a 50" deck. Secondly the 50" deck is a formed deck made on a die that for the most part has been very well used since it's first use over 30 years ago. To get all of the baffles needed for making a mulching mower fit properly you need things put together with half way decent precision and that old die just doesn't have it anymore.