New to this business woes....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by doug1980, Jun 15, 2009.

1. doug1980

doug1980 LawnSite Senior Member

So I only have a few customers and thought things were going good.....wrong! One of my customers, who is my boss at my full time job, told me she mowed the lawn this weekend. I was like, ummm why? She said, "well I didn't know if you were going to do it." I mowed her yard on the 6th and she wanted it cut every ten days. So that would make the next cut be on the 16th. So instead of calling me or...oh I don't know.... asking me at work when I was going to cut it she just cuts it. So I lose out on $40.00. Then she says well next time just drive by and if it needs it then cut it. WTF I don't think so. No way am I going to operate my business like that. I told her "how could I do that with over 20 customers?" I have to have a schedule and can't just drive by and cut everyones yard as needed. I sure hope they are not all like that.
  2. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

You will get some like that. I let it slide the first time. I tell them I can't ride by everyones house everday to check and I must know in advance if they have cut it.

If they continue the routine you are talking about, drop them as you will be playing a guessing game.

After you have done a persons yard a few times, you will know if their yard needs cutting every week, 10 days, etc. Some yards I had to check on when they were new because I didn't know how fast their yard grows. In the spring just about every yard needs cutting at least weekly.
  3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

I charge a seasonal fee to maintain a customers lawn for the year. Then I divide that payment into 8 installments, due April through November. They pay the same every month whether I mow once, 4 times, or do a spring or fall cleanup. No confusion. Ever.
  4. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

I think since she is your boss at your full time job she thinks she is your boss at her home also. It's a tough situation. I would wait to see what happens next time but if she cuts it or tells you it doesn't need it, I would drop her.
  5. ashelton

ashelton LawnSite Member
    from florida

With it being your boss, I would tell her that it would be better if you didn't cut her grass. Explain that you are worried that it might cause conflict. Although you probably plan on going full time with your LCO, you don't want to jeopardize your main source of income over $40 every 10-20 days.

Not all customers are a PITA, but you will have PLENTY of them in the future. I just bite my tongue, and remind myself how much they pay, then try to replace them ASAP.
  6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

these are called PITA, customers. to bad it's your boss...

7. marcuslawnguy

marcuslawnguy LawnSite Member

Skilled labor is underappreciated many times and is not understood by many of the industries customers we service. Trust me equipment, gas, time, and money are all too important to lead your self over a cliff. Complainers that get top notch service are not going to stop complaining, its in some peoples blood to complain or try to get over on you. Drop them and move on to a customer that pays, enjoys your service and you can make happy. I had one of these guys the other week and he decided he just felt that the price agreed on was too much and didn't want to pay that. And yes he had all of the tall tell signs leading up to this nice guy, then became a complainer then a no payer. luckly I have a lot of tolerance for bs and business is booming. Remember a customer will drop you like a bad habit with this economy so if they start acting like that, I start looking for someone to fill their spot because they will do the same to me.
  8. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

Welcome to the Green Industry!!!!!!!!:clapping::clapping: No, seriously...........Welcome to the Green Industry!!!!!!!!!!!!:laugh::laugh:
  9. marcuslawnguy

marcuslawnguy LawnSite Member

To me the biggest most important thing with big lots is the FREQUENCY OF THE CUT. Lots that are bigger tend to get less care and can turn into a bear if you don't take this into consideration. for example I took up a 2 acre lot in july and maintained it all season and since I started it in the summer I didn't know what it was like during the spring. luckly the customer wanted it to look nice and had me come more often than every 3 weeks in the spring to every 2 weeks then back to every 3 weeks in july. but that thing was a bear in the spring with the poor drainage it grew grass like I fertilized the crap out of it. lol
  10. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Lesson learned long ago, do not, repeat do not do work for family or your boss, that 10 day is BS, every week, or every two weeks, or monthly....tell her you got so much to do that you will help her find a LCO....let him/her deal with much stress involved with that crap...

Oh yeah, welcome....:usflag: