New to this site, looking to start a business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by matt10486, Feb 22, 2009.

1. matt10486

matt10486 LawnSite Member

Hey everyone, I am new to this site, I just came across it, I am a member on another site which in the past I have asked for help and haven’t really gotten any. I have started to read some threads and now am trying my luck to see if there is anyone out there willing to help. A little about myself, I am 22, I first started out cutting a few neighbors yards back when I was 14 or so. I did that just for some extra money all through out high school, took a few college courses, worked at a funeral home for a while, tried a lot of different jobs, in the back of my mind I knew that I wanted to have my own business, my uncle recently started his own home improvement business and that’s when the bug really hit me. For the past 3 years now I have been working with a friend of mine who bought a landscaping business. For the past 5 years now I have been the groundskeeper for my churches 10 acre cemetery. I am in charge of the weekly cutting and trimming, I have to fill graves when the time comes. I don’t get paid a lot for this however but it relaxes me and I have received so many compliments since I took it over, and that means a lot to me. My dad works for one of the big hospitals in my area and he comes home stressed out everyday, Saturdays he cuts his acre and a half, and he tells me all the time how much he likes cutting grass so my idea/goal would be to either start or buy a business, hire him, and take it from there. I know that it’s not going to be a walk in the park, but this is all I have thought about for the past few years. I have a notebook started on things I want to do, things I have seen the guy I work for do and how I can improve from that. I don’t want to come off as some snotty punk kid who thinks he can make it over night, I know you guys have busted your ass to get where you are today. All I’m asking is for some advice and some answers to my questions. So please anyone willing to help, I’m listening.... Sorry this post was so long!!!
  2. tradeyouraccounts

tradeyouraccounts Banned

HI have you done some of the basics flyers, door hangers, referral incentives, signage on vehicle and clothing. Networking with other service companies?
  3. matt10486

No, I am still trying to figure out if i should start from scratch or buy an established business. I dont know with the economy and the shape that its in even if it would be smart to start a business now. When the time comes I plan on doing all of those.

4. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy LawnSite Member

Matt, Couple of suggestions, I would have you go work on a crew with someone else for about 6 months to a year. See if you like the work and get ideas. You can't go back to their customers, but it would be great experience. See what forms they use, how do they bid.

Or start out from scratch like most of use did

Good luck
  5. LouisianaLawnboy

LouisianaLawnboy LawnSite Silver Member

Don't buy an existing business as your first step. You don't have any experience. If you start out small you can learn alot from your mistakes and not have to pay for them big time like if you had a big biz.
  6. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

You should definately start out small and work your way up. You don't want to get in over your head with buying an existing business. Get some flyers and business cards and start advertising. Try to keep your expenses limited your first year incase you decide not to continue, you won't have too much invested. You will learn as you go, there are always class you can take that can help you expand your services later on. Best of luck to you.
  7. matt10486

What would I have to do to start up a business? How many of you use your real names for your business and how many use fictitious names? Which is best? The only reason I ask this is because I have one of those last names that I know people will butcher, so Id rather use something else. But I am still open to suggestions. Sorry if any of my questions are dumb.
  8. LouisianaLawnboy

LouisianaLawnboy LawnSite Silver Member

I don't use my name at all.
  9. matt10486

Hows that work out for ya?
  10. clipperslawnservice

clipperslawnservice LawnSite Member

I'm just starting full time myself. Here are a couple of things i have
    learned; check with city hall or the courthouse for any permits
    or license you may need; try to find out what the other guys
    in your area are charging;have some back up equipment. hope