New to this site...need some help with lawn.

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Chad135, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Chad135

Chad135 LawnSite Member

I currently have a lawn that I tried to seed last fall. I got some grass to come up but I also got alot of weeds. There are also many spots where nothing came up. I was planning on using an overseeder/splitseeder this weekend. Is it ok after I seed to use fertilizer with weed control for my grass and weeds that already exsist or should I use starter fertilizer since I am planting new seed. I need some major help here!

2. Chad135

Chad135 LawnSite Member

Anyone? I really need some help here. Does anyone know the answer to my question?

3. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you had the soil tested? I would start there.

4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Not enough info to make a determination. Reason you have weeds most likely is because the grass is too thin/patchy etc. Is the soil compacted? What kind of soil? Clay, silt, loam, sand? What type of grass? What kind of weeds? Is the existing grass healthy or sickly? Does the lawn get adequate irrigation? Are you watering frequently but lightly or deeply but not as often? Are there high spots? Do you have a large number of insects? What kind of cutting height are you currently running?

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

You have to do a total lawn renovation and this takes work..You do not have a lawn you have a weed patch.Remove existing sod/weed layer and throw it.
    add alot of compost,clean topsoil.and steer manure,till in to a foot deep very well...rake out very well,roll,seed up, down,then sideways,add topper
    roll water and keep moist tell germination then moist alot.USE GOOD high quality seed,seed thickly and evenly. OR you could prep the area the same way and install sod.