New to this

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cy Cutter, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Cy Cutter

Cy Cutter LawnSite Member
    from IA

Hi to all. I am a former golf course superintendent looking to get into lawn and landscaping in central Iowa. I would like anything on information sites, bidding and good used start up equipment. Thank you

2. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Why a "former" superintendent?

3. GCS LawnService

GCS LawnService LawnSite Member

What kind of equipment are you looking for? I know of some bigger Kubota diesel equipment but it is located in Nashville, Tennessee that comes complete with trac-vac and 18' dove tail trailer. I have seen some good interest rates on new equipment and John Deere is offering 6.9% for 48 months. Good Luck!

:blob2:

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Cy Cutter,
    Welcome, and it's great to have you aboard. I'm sure you will find a world of information in here, and some different ideas, to incorporate into what you already know. On the OTHER hand, I'm sure you will be a treMENdous asset with your knowledge in the field of turf management. It is always so good to have people of specialized fields aboard. I am currently working under the advisement and mentoring of a former superintendent. He was, for several years, assistant superintendent at Warwick Hills, home of the Buick Open, and then head superintendent at a private country club course. Basically, this guy thought he could make a go of it on his own, and now he does very well. Not a day goes by that I don't learn something new and valuable from this man, especially as a friend. And to put it mildly, this guy can grow grass like NO one else can around here. That is why this fertilizer program is taking off so well. He has helped me get my fert. program going and has me using the exact things that he is using. (Which incidentally, is in many cases, the same products being used on Warwick Hills). We have customers who are literally astonished at what their lawns are doing. WAY nicer and healthier than everyone elses on their street. (except those others that we do.) Anyway, I just want to let you know that we appreciate you here. And for anyone else who may be sceptical, before asking why a FORMER superintendent, (probably the same reasons why a former business exec., former police officer, former accountant, etc.) don't underestimate the power of knowledge that goes into this science, as it is as vast as the medical field. ;)
    Oh, incidentally, I almost forgot. About that equipment, try www.machinefinder.com . This is cool, and you can dial it in right around your home. It of course goes out hundreds and even thousands of miles from you home if you'd like. Good luck!

5. green boy

green boy LawnSite Member
    from texas

I am a paramedic and trying to make it former allso. Looking for a carrier change.... Never under estamate anyone.:)

6. Cy Cutter

Cy Cutter LawnSite Member
    from IA

Thanks for the support Runner!

I have many years on golf courses but am fed up with members, boards, club presidents, owners, golf pros, managers...... This move is something I have been thinking of for a while and I just quit a job at a course in WI that I hope the owner has enough money to pay me my months work. I was only there a few weeks and had left a job here to take that one. Now I'm unemp. and seems like as good a time as any, although late in the season already.

Thanks again