New To this

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by CLC, Mar 12, 2003.

1. CLC

CLC LawnSite Member

I would like to get into the irrigation, But I dont know where to start can you guys help me out?

2. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

1. Join the Irrigation association and order some of the design books they offer.

2. Find an expierenced contractor that you could work with for a few weeks to teach you the ropes. A good irrigation system is more complicated than it looks and it will be well worth your time to learn from an expierenced contractor.

If you can't find one in your area, you are welcome to come to MN and I'll teach you.

3. Check previous posts on this topic, you will find other good ideas

3. SamIV

SamIV LawnSite Senior Member

CLC

All of what MikeK suggested. The website for the IA is www.irrigation.org. They offer classes as well as have numerous books on the subject. Find a local distributor who offers training.
    Get as many irrigation trade magazines as you can. All of mine I get free. Educate yourself as to the products that are out there. Call Hunter, Rainbird, Toro, Weathermatic, and many others. They offer free educational material and, product catalogs if you ask. Learn what all those charts mean in the back of the catalogs. Ask for samples also. All companies give sample if you ask. I still get samples that just so up.

I enrolled in a few of the classes the IA offered. All were very informative. Also someone on a previous post suggested to do your yard first. Make the mistakes on your property first. As MikeK suggested, use the search for the numerous previous posts on this subject.

Sam