New to tree & shrubs

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Nitroman, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Nitroman

Nitroman LawnSite Member
    from indiana

Im going for my 3a this winter and and could use some help. Just the standard spray and what that includes for most of u, fert., insecticide, fungicide, etc. I mean what do you mix in for your normal route if your running off a tank? and how do u price it?

Thanks

2. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

You need to find out what trees and shrubs you are spraying and why you will be spraying them.
    You need to study up on all the pests that effect those trees and shrubs.
    You will need to learn what controls those pests.
    You'll need to learn what time of year is effective for each of the pests.

Now as far as diseases.
    Repeat all of the above.

3. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

that is about the only way to put it. some fungicides can cause damage to some trees and not others, most fungicides that are used for trees, can kill, or cause undisirable damage to alot of flowers (perrennials especialy) and that can get you in trouble really fast. some insecicides can do the same.

4. Nitroman

Nitroman LawnSite Member
    from indiana

But is there a general set price like there is for lawn treatments? For example liquid fert with a broad spectrum insecticide?
    What do you think the TGC's send there sells reps out with? I'm looking for a formula, $5 per shrub ect. If your biding on a large property and they just say tree and shrub care the basic program?

5. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i worked for scotts and all they did was use EAGLE fungicide, foreverything, from tree to lawn diease. it is a good fungicide, but most of all it is CHEAP! yes they did have a set price, not sure how they make it. i guess they play it on a % loss, if you treat 16K + accounts, that can make up alot of poor applications. fact being, that alot of diseases' that trees/shrubs get are cosmetic, or the plant will come out of. so they have a better chance BS'ing the customer the next year. i do upscale major commercial/goverment accounts that demand that trees/flowers/turf are impecable, so i use more expensive chemicals, timed applications and get great resualts. we price by the caliper inch of trees, canapy of some trees, shrubs a pretty standard, except for ones that need more attions, say a burning bush, they tend to get mites, so i would figure how many apps that would take and what chemical to use.

6. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

A word of advice, don't let the customer dictate your program.
    Very few know their azz from a hole in the ground.
    If you are professional,you develop the program based on needs, and expectations.
    tree/shrub care ain't the same as cleaning the windows.

7. jose85

jose85 LawnSite Member

just use tempo :)

8. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

ditto...thats the best advice in your situation. Ive done a LOT of association work and the way to go is polite but FIRM on your agenda.