New To Zero Turns

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DKL, May 25, 2006.

1. DKL

DKL LawnSite Member

Im new to the Lawn Care industry and i am trying to start out kind of small with a good zero turn thats not too expensive. The Zero Turns i looked at today where the 22 HP Kawasaki V-Twin Cub Cadet, and the 22 HP Swisher Zero Turn Mower. We are trying to keep the price about 3000 or so since I am just starting out. Any advice would help me tremendously.

2. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure you have some dealers around. See what they have used! I wouldn't recomend either of your choices, but see what the others say!

Good Luck!

3. 4curbappeal

I would think you could get a pretty darn nice used Dixie or Hustler for that price. They will probably have a few hrs., but check them out before you go 3k new. Just my .02!!~

4. DKL

DKL LawnSite Member

a dixie chopper? i looked at them and they seemed like a nice set up since im doing this while im going to college but i wasnt sure if they where too expensive or not, their website is hard to navigate, i looked at a jhon deer one but my brother told me to start out small then see how i like it.

5. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

Dixie Choppers and John Deere's are going to be way out of your ballpark unless you buy a really used one. Before you go and buy a zero turn consider a walk behind with a sulky. If you are going to make the investment that a zero turn brings you are going to want to make sure that you are staying in this for a while. Don't buy junk or you'll have to turn around and replace it soon.

If you decide to go with a zero turn, I run a Hustler and it is by far the best I tired.

6. DKL

DKL LawnSite Member

is there a way to buy a used one with payments? that was the whole deal with buying one new in the first place... we went to home depot and seen that cub cadet and then we went to conns and seen the swisher. the prospect of a used mower came up but i was afraid that i would have to come up with the full 3000 up front and that isnt possible right now.

7. 4curbappeal

CW,
    I agree, a walk behind is maybe what you need to learn with. Master that and go with a ZTR later. Listen to CW he has been in the biz for a while! I can sell you 6 or 7 ZTR's when your ready! Good Luck Bro!!!

8. 4curbappeal

Any reputble dealer will finance! Good Luck and do it right the first time!

9. DKL

DKL LawnSite Member

thanks for the advice.:)

10. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

What size are your properties. I believe you will be better to start with a W/B and only move into a z when you build your business to that point.
    The mowers you ask about are homeowner stuff and will be destroyed quick by commercial work. Plan on 7K or so for a Z to make money with.
    3K will get you a good W/B