1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Toro 21" Kawi engine?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FreshCuts, Sep 24, 2004.

1. FreshCuts

FreshCuts LawnSite Member

I saw one of the new Toro's with the Kawi engine that is to replace the old Suzuki engine and wandered if anyone has tried it out yet or know anything about it. The Suzuki's are impossible to find anymore and I was considering this one instead. Feed back would be helpful.
  2. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I have just switched to the new Toros with Kawasaki power and I have been very impressed so far. I ran John Deeres with Kawasaki power before and the motors will way outlast the rest of a 21" mower it seems.
  3. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

They are Alot Heavier than the Suzuki's.
  4. my old kawi non my exmark 21 bit the dust ...i ordered one of the new one's .Im gonna put the beast on tomorrow .Ill let you know how it performs.

Engine cost me 280 shipping and all.
  5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I would get the Honda, it's lighter and has all the power you could want. I am not sure about Toro offering it , but Exmark does. I have two of those Honda motors with more than 10 years on them.
  6. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Toro offers the Honda but it runs about $150 more than the Kawasaki. I've always had such good luck with the Kawasaki's I decided there was no way it was worth it.
  7. t j lawn care

t j lawn care LawnSite Member

I bought one the first of this year and am very satisfied.
  8. KrisD

KrisD LawnSite Member

I had two of them last year and they ran great. I bought six more this year and everyone of them blew a head gasket. They had a recall on them. After having them replaced they have all ran fine. I prefer the 4stroke kaw to the 2 suz for easy of starting and therefore we've had no broken cords.
  9. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

Easier starting? My suzuki/toro is 3 years old and starts the 1st or 2nd try everytime! probably because I keep it maintenanced though :rolleyes:
  10. Heres a pic of the beast....im gonna mount it today to the 21.
    The oil filter is on the back instead of the front and the air cleaner is bigger now .