New Toro Commercial 21s

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Church2224, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Church2224

Church2224 LawnSite Senior Member

2. locallawncare.ca

locallawncare.ca LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

That's very interesting, it appears to be an exmark looking type mower, no spec on the website yet, but one of their promotional pictures shows one. I'm a huge fan of the lightweight 21, so I'm interested to see this new version.

3. STLTurfmanagement

STLTurfmanagement LawnSite Member

they had them at the GIE expo in kentucky. Apparently toro has been manufacturing the exact same mold for like 10+years so they improved the bagging system, the height adjust quadrant function, location of the pull cord, and the shape of the unit. However some downfalls I saw were that the three speed kick lever on the left side wasn't there, and it was only one speed (fast).

4. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

5. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

Looks like Toro isn't selling enough of the Exmark 21 copies and had to bring the old heavy duty back from the dead.

For those of you who haven't owned the old one: it was an OK machine but lacked in some areas, I particularly didn't like the plastic chute and single control bail. Mechanically the mower had problems (at least mine) with the height adjusters and transmission bevel gears wearing out, but apart from that was solid. Yes the old one didn't mulch that well and cut quality in general could have been better. The thin engine protector wasn't all that comfy when used as a lift.

Let's see what they are offering now:
    - deep aluminum deck: good
    - 3-speed transmission: good
    - 9" wheels: good
    - steel discharge cover: good
    - thick engine guard: good
    - 2.1 bushel bag: good
    - Honda GXV160 option: good
    - non-BBC option: good
    - flat 1-piece handlebar: good
    - tiny height adjusters: bad
    - no side discharge: bad
    - combo bail bar: junk

Overall it will probably be a nice machine and hopefully there won't be any launch problems like with the Exmark 21.

Here's a downsized picture of it, so people won't need to download.

10232013_heavyduty_mower_line.jpg

6. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I wonder what's going to happen to their light duty commercial mower that has the honda gsv190 engine on it. Will this new heavy duty line replace everything or will the light duty line be kept too? The literature says that the bag is 2.1 bushels but that bag in the photo looks much bigger. My exmark 21 has a 2.5 bushel bag and it doesn't look as big as the one in the photo? The other question I would have is whether there is even a need for a new 21" now that they have the 30" model out.?

7. Church2224

They said the same thing about the Metro 26. While I like the 30 contractors are still buying up Toro, Honda and Exmark 21s around here because the 30 cannot go all the places a 21 can.

Having owned two of the Exmarks, I am excited about this.

8. unit28

unit28 LawnSite Bronze Member

hope that thing can go up to 4" on the height

9. Church2224

10. locallawncare.ca

locallawncare.ca LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

To be honest I'm confused why they came out with this mower. Its so similar to the classic heavy duty mower, I assume it will be replacing it eventually, but in the meantime, what were they thinking? I like that the entry level model has a 2 bail control system but the rest adopt the old 21 proline style, which many people like but I personally do not care for. I'm sticking to the light weight commercial 21", the ability to side discharge is a mus in the spring (could not operate without it). I do however like the overall aesthetic of this new mower and I'm sure there are several small improvements which have yet to be seen in detail. Waiting for a review or youtube video.