new toro or exmark hydro WB and lesco trade

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dlandscaping, Jan 31, 2002.

1. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

i want a new hydro walkbehind. Either a toro 44 hydro sfs deck with 17 kaw electric start (dealer less than 5 min away i can walk the machine there if i wanted) or exmark 48 tthp with 17 hsp kaw electric start(dealer close to 30 min away doesnt discount). i have spent close to $4k at the toro dealer and he throws in discounts and such and i should have bought more off him. the exmark dealer i have spen over $2500 at and the biggest discount on an 8000 dollar machine i could get was $200 at the end of the season. Toro is more popular in my area and the exmark dealers prices are high. i know these machines are about $4500 or so but i want a hydro and want to mulch mostly. Is the toro any good for mulching with the sfs deck? Exmark is a good mulcher but for the price i dont believe i could spend almost $5400 on a 48 hydro with a bag and mulch kit. A ztr would be of little use as of now and i have no place to store it. any opinions on the following machines would be appreciated.

i have a 2001 lesco 48 gear with a 15hsp kaw twin engine and a new metal catcher (used 2 times) the machine is in perfect condition and has only 26 hours on it. i dont like this machine and want the floating deck and hydro as well as a good cutting machine. What could i expect for a trade in value or resale value of this machine?

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Dealer support is worth many $$$ to you. As much as I don't want to say it, I would lean toward the toro. Did I just say that?

3. It's there in B&W HOSS.

I would have to agree with ya.

the time saved to the dealer can make the discision also.

4. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 36" Toro hydro which I use for back yards. It has the 15hp Kohler and does a good job -- plenty of power.

My friend has the 44" hydro with the same motor and he doen't like it -- says it's under powered.

If I were you, I'd be looking at the 52", but I don't know if they offer the SFS deck on that size.

As far as mulching goes, I just put a piece of expanded metal across the discharge chute when I need to. Surprisningly, it does a very nice job of mulching, but I do use the Gator high-lifts on it too.

5. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Go with Dealer support when it come to Toro or Ex. Down time really screws things up.Toros now have a plastic baffle kit, no more simple plate over the discharge. See if the dealer will throw in a free mulch kit if you go with the Toro.