New Toro snowblower! and the old Ariens too.

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by Jason Rose, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Finally had it with the old Ariens... It's a super reliable piece of equipment for sure, will start on 1 or 2 pulls even after sitting for months, but it's just crazy SLOW. Even slower in snow over 4 or 5 inches deep. Works awesome though for blazing a trail through a lawn or for rock drives (can't do either with a single stage). The single stage Toro smokes it everywhere else though! Picked it up at Jim's Tire and Auto in Wichita today, they are a pretty big Toro dealer, and they actually had the big one in stock! 24" wide, 7 horse 2-stroke! Crazy power. I did 3 places today in a fraction of the time it would have taken with the Ariens. I bet it only took 2 minutes to do my neighbor's 10x50 drive. Can't wait for it to snow again , wait, yes I can. I still hate snow... :dizzy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note the modification to the front... Added wings and wheels last winter to it, made it better somewhat, dosn't loose so much off the sides now, allows me to take a wider swath and the wheels roll along and don't hang up like the old wore out skid shoes. Hnag-up = handle to the groin... :cry:
    [​IMG]

2. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

can beat the single stage stuff for snow removal. I have a toro 2450 and its fast and easy for walkways.

3. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

how bout some action pics?

4. Jason Rose

Pretty much too late for any action pics this time around... Plus I'd have to have someone run the camera, and my friend would probably laugh his head off "you want me to take a picture of you running a snowblower??" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Last single stage Toro I ran was waaay back when I was about 14 maybe. It was smaller than this one, but I remember that it was plowing thru about everything! We had a BIG snow that year and I was helping a friend of the family's that was contracted by the power and gas company to do all their lots and subtations.

I can't figure out why they have done away with the hand crank chute adjustment.:confused: I really liked that on the old Toro as well as on the Ariens. I know they can't be just saving money, because this thing cost a fortune!

5. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I have 2 hondas (same model size) but with a 5hp, and use the ones you have for snow too. THe toro is a great machine, no doubt about it, but i would take the honda over the toro for a few reasons. Its lighter than the toro, doesn't use mixed gas,which litterally smells, (which is a huge decision maker) and is much quieter, especially when your doing resedentials. Don't get me wrong, the toro is a great machine with a good amount of power to it, but when it comes to the two, i would choose the honda. Nice buy though! How much was it?

6. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

i've got a couple of those old ariens in the barn somewhere. havn't had them out in 10 years i bet. only single stage toros for me.

7. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

You just HAD to one-up me:laugh::laugh: I really like my new one I got, dang thing almost paid for it's self already, kinda rare for something I own to pay for its self:hammerhead:

I just picked up a 2450 Saturday. I REALLY like it. Does an AWESOME job, throws the snow real good, and can go about as fast as you wanna walk with it. I was gonna get a plow for my mower, but the snow blower does a much better job then the plow would. Also the snow blower is just light enough to toss in and out of the back of the truck, thats not exactly something you could do with a ZTR with a plow on it...

8. Jason Rose

Cost for the Snow Commander: $899 + tax :dizzy:

They sure don't give these away!

Unfortunately this model is TOO HEAVY to pick up and toss in the bed of a truck... But I can still use my ramps I was using for the Ariens and just push fast and hard and make it up.

Looks like I made a good purchace, seems that the 2 stage blowers aren't used as much... Though I still wouldn't mind replacing the Ariens all together with a 32 to 36 inch 2 stage. Heck, MTD (troybilt) even has a 45" monster!

9. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

Nice blowers

10. Luvs2Play

Luvs2Play LawnSite Member

Go and get a couple more of those cheap plastic scraper bars and another set of paddles. Ours didn't last long enough to make it useable. When they work, they're great, but that's about anything.