new toro t-bar vibration

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by causalitist, May 21, 2007.

1. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

i just switched from an older snapper 48" with the loop handles to a brand new 48" toro t-bar and noticed a huge increase in vibration felt in the hand .. so much that my hands are numb after a lawn. i have read the warnings in regard to long term vibration messing hands up, does anyone know of any/use any gloves that reduce vibration very well?

i am particularily interested in hearing from people who operate mowers that cause alot of hand vibration and have found a way reduce this alot/prevent numbing.

thanks guys.

2. EngineeredLawns

EngineeredLawns LawnSite Member

I would take the mower back to the dealer to see why it has a virbration...If it is brand new, it should have the Kawaski engine which is a twing. My T Bar Toro is a 2005 and I have the Kohler which is a single, and the mower does not have a vibration. Something must be out of balance on the mower.

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Try another mower at the dealer to see if your is doing it or there all doing it.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Are the rubber grommets on either side of the bar fresh? These things wear out constantly, they last anywhere from 1-2 minutes to 1-2 months, it just depends but I am always replacing mine.

You can get from the dealer, but I ordered mine from Mid-Atlantic Rubber Co (min. order 100 grommets), forget the exact specs but they make the right kind for a fraction of the cost, I go through an easy dozen / year, carry spares in the truck.

5. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

oh ya, i remember you saying that a while back to someone else.. so thats what you were referring to. i'll have to get me some.

the ones on mine are fresh, only 10 hours on the machine. its just engine vibration from the kawi .. i highly doubt anythings wrong with it, just wondering if anyone used any good gloves

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I do notice my hands tingle somedays, but the T-bar is top of the line in fatigue reduction systems (other than my bed lol)... You might, just to make sure, check your blade spindles for bearing wear, that might cause it. Maybe a belt's getting worn, no telling until it breaks but make sure you always have at least one new wheel belt in the truck, when they go there's not much warning.

Check the transmission belt, too.

Because it should be easy to operate, I am thinking you're having to grip too hard. On that note, practice I guess... I can almost finger-tip mine today but not quite, still I remember I used to fight the Toro a lot more at the beginning and I didn't even know it, really an easy touch should do it.

One trick I learned is always select the fastest gear, or A faster gear than you're using, this helps ease your grip.
    I find like if I am in 3rd then I am PUSHING that bar to try to make the Wb go faster, but put it in 4th (or 5th) and that is not a problem no more... It might wear the belts a tee bit more, but I can't tell the difference.
    Careful on inclines, you have to use a low gear there, but otherwise high gear it.

There are also a few adjustments you can make on those control rods (I think that's what they're called), those two long things, one each side, goes down to the wheel from the sides of the T-bar, try backing each one of them out a few turns (2-3 turns, maybe 4), see if that helps.