New Toro Z 52 cut quality St. Aug. (trubo Force deck)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Native, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Native

Native LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I'm looking to get a Toro Z500 with 27hp and 52" Turbo Force deck to cut mainly all St. Augustine grass. I have read in two other threads that the 52 was leaving some blades uncut with the new Trubo Froce Deck. I didn't see any complaints with the 60" but the 60" isn't going to work for what I need, I already have a Hustler Super Z 60" EFI.
    Let me know what you all think about you all think about the 52's cut quality in all conditions. Thank's

2. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Talk to a guy here called ODIN, he has a couple 52's.

I have a 60'' er and it cuts very crisp, different blades on different grasses helps to really fine tune things as well as the adjustable baffle. I'm using a mulch blade called raptors for an all purpose blade, cuts cleaner than a highlift, for me anyways...

Some stalky, flimsey stemed weeds and grasses can be hard to cut crisp with any machine, propper adjustment of the baffle gives these decks the edge, but mother nature will always give us nasty things to challenge us to cut LOL!

The perfect ultimate deck hasn't been invented yet, but the turbo force is probably the most advanced deck currently on the market. in my very bias opinion of course.

3. mine are 60 ties to tony ......i dont cut st augustine...thats a warm season grass in the south united states ....my grass is cool season bluegrass rye etc.So i have no idea how the turboforce does on st augustine

4. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 52" 27 Kohler Z500 that cuts thick St Augustine at 3.5" excellent. I've been running gator magnums for about 120 hours now, and just switched over to the Raptors this evening to see how they do. So far every blade has done well side discharging, but with the mulching kit on it was leaving uncut grass between the blades with the gators and the raptors.

5. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

2k1, My local dealer just started carrying Toro. I too cut 95% st.aug.. And the exact mower I would be interested in is yours.. could you tell me a few things..1 In HEAVY thick growth does it bog?? 2 in the same growth how fast can you go?? and finally, in the same growth with the blade combo's you've tried, how well does it discharge? If you don't mind How many $$$$$ did it set you back? If you confirm my suspiccions, he may be getting a low hr trade soon...Thanks, Willy

Sorry I just re read, but what I mean is are the clippings really chopped up well? Tony from OZ raves about his, and I'm wondering if the magic is there on the 52" as well...

6. 2k1yzfr1

I got the mower and mulching kit for 7950 plus tax. As far as the power it's pretty hard to bog it down. With all the rain we had in the spring the St Augustine was growing about 6-8" a week and I could mow pretty much about 75% of max speed without bogging it down. The best blade combo I've found was gator magnums over high lifts. With the discharge shoot off it would throw grass 25-30'.

7. txlawnking

25-30ft!!!! I'm there!! Thanks man, I apprecieate the info..

8. 2k1yzfr1

txlawn check your pm's

9. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I get strange leftover solo blades now and then with any of my 3 mowers on St. Augustine.

10. txlawnking

Yeah, bruce, there was a thread on this a while back, the guy said someone called the uncut blades the "lucky guy's".. LOL I don't get that very often, practically never, but I did notice it today. Maybe it has something to do with the heat?? Who knows..