New toro-z-master====I don't think so

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mark, Jul 3, 2000.

1. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

In june i purchased a new 2000yr model z-master with 25hp Kohler command pro.Just out of the blue i called Kohler just to find out if my engine was a 2000 after all the dealer assured me it was.They would tell me nothing, they wanted to know alot about me though,such as was i a pro-cutter, and other silly things, I finally got ahold of this one guy and he gave me a toll=free number to this place ive never heard of,so i gave them a call and gave them the numbers and sure enough i have a 98 model,man this really yurks me. After the 4th im going to get this problem stright. I went to purchase a 2000 mower and engine, if they don't make it right im going to my lawyer. I was missrepersented,Know dealer should be aloud to tell you your spending your money on a new unit if its not, and i payed cash,wished ide never done that. What are some of your inputs on this problem? Thanks for any responses<p>----------<br>Mark's Mowing Service<br>

2. What size deck does it have?<p>How much did you pay for it?

3. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I'm sure I read somwhere that manufacturers buy large amounts of motors and other parts and sometimes it takes a few model years before they are are used up so I guess you could get a 2 or more year old motor in a &quot;brand new&quot; mower. I'm not saying that this is right I am just saying that it probally happens, especially with the uncommon or unpopular motors.

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I've got a 2001 Dixie Chopper, but I'd bet the motor was made in 2000 or 1999. I don't care as long as I get my 2 year warranty. It takes a long time to float them Yanmars diesels over on the boat. :)<br><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

mark--before you roast your dealer at the totem-pole, find out if the older model is actually a better model. sometimes newer isn't better because they cheapened up some part on the newer model.<p>if you should then find that the older model is preferable, thank your dealer and then roast him for his honesty problems!<p>GEO

6. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Lawrence I paid 7700 for the mower,it has a 62 inch deck, it cuts great,but i have heard that the 98 kohler commands were having problems, but the 99s and up are really great engines.<p>----------<br>Mark's Mowing Service<br>

7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Mark,I have a 2000 dixie Chopper,and I know your frustrations well,the 2000 are supposed to have an improved hydro system,mine doesnt,they also have a solid bumper,not mine.the only thing mine has over a 99 is the 4 chain deck lift and wider front tires.Also to dispell your myth that 99 and up 25 commands are improved,mine just ate a headgasket at 66 hrs,it was built in late 99.So dont feel bad about the engine they are still problem engines,so if you've got more hrs than I have your doing better than me.I checked my serial # on my machine it starts with 00 which is a 2000 model,always check that to confirm the dealer telling you what year it is.<p>----------<br>John D<br>

8. Dale

Dale LawnSite Member

Toro does not give a rats ass about the motors in question. We ate 2 99 Kohler 14 and 16 hp units with less than 200 hours each. The dealer refused to stand by the warranty and Kohler did also. Used the age old claim of operator abuse of no oil. Funny, my ASE mechanic could not find any oil heat searing on the bearings, but we could find casting flaws. I bitched to corporate Toro ( go to their web site)and stuff started to happen. The distributor was motivated by corporate Toro to get me to be satisfied. Just go to the top to start with. Now I am going to e mail corporate Deere about those piece of crap walk behinds( 6hp)the local dealer won't stand behind.<p>----------<br>Dale Wiley<br>Maintenance/Operations Manager

9. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Dale, You hit the nail right on the head.<br>You deal with the horses head,not the horses<br>arse.<p>Karl<br>