New toro's at home depot....Crap.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by proline32, Mar 8, 2002.

1. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

Have you guys seen the new line of toro's at the home depot?

I was just in there a little while ago and they have a line of ( I can't beleive it) friggin toro's recycler mowers there. But, they must be made especially for HD because they look like some cheap ass murray mower with a tecumseh engine on them.... A flimsy steel deck and they look cheap, the HD sales guy walks up to me and start talking about how they just got these premium quality toro brand mowers and they are selling them cheaper by hundreds of dollars versus the local toro dealer.... I politely informed the guy that I own a lawn service and that these are not even near the same quality mower that our local dealer sells, in fact the dealer would never dare carry such a peice of garbage and the engine is a peice of crap too and that toro is making a big mistake even dealing with home depot. Heck, the John Deere/ scotts guys probably got burned by HD last year cuz I no longer see thier products in the store. If any toro reps are out there..... I hope you guys know what you are doing, your dragging your good name and quality products thru the mud dealing with home Depot. You'll get some dumb ass customer buying your mower only do do something stupid and breaking it and then telling everyone toro's are a peice of garbage.... well from what I saw, these are a peice of garbage.
  2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

proline--I can appreciate you feelings on this issue but why don't you just enjoy the fact that your commercial toro unit is superior and forget about the crap that home cheapo sells?

I'm not busting your chops, just suggesting that you let it go....

3. mowingmachine

mowingmachine LawnSite Senior Member

I understand what you are saying. It's too bad a good company had to resort to this. There is alot more money in the consumer end of it I guess. And they are in business to make money. Just too bad because like you said they will most likely hurt their name from it.

4. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I was in the Home Depot here last week and they still had the Scotts/John Deere line. I'll have to pop back in there this week and see if they have the Toro line now.

It will be too bad for them if they are dropping the JD/Scotts stuff. I bought a 1642 hydrostatic 3 summers ago and used it that summer to get started mowing in my neighborhood. That little tractor is sweet! It has at least 800 hours of use on it and I have only had to replace the ignition switch. A friend of mine has a 2048 that has been cutting 2.5 acres a week for two years problems. They seem to be a very good "homeowner" unit.

When I went to the JD dealer to get the ignition switch I saw 1 in the service area and asked the service rep if he saw many of them and he said no...and when they do it is usually in the early spring-just for routine maintanance and adjustments.

I still carry my tractor on my trailer to ocasionally pull the Lazer Z out of the ditches. :blush:
  5. samk

samk LawnSite Member

home depot has always carried the recycler personal pace it just has been redisgned and 140.00 cheaper than it was
  6. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

The Home Depot Toros' are homeowner models. If the sales clerk tried to pass these off as commercial models then he is worthy of ridicule.

If I had a product to sell I would put the item(s) at Home Depot, Best Buy and Wal Mart, these stores have great visibility.

I wouldn't let brand loyalty get to you. I watched the Vikings lay an egg last season. I was all worked up...for what?

Good luck