New Toy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by plow kid, Mar 26, 2001.

1. plow kid

plow kid Banned

I bought a new toy today at a dealer that has had it sitting out there for 8 months, A 1997 JD F-725 Front mower 48" deck with 350 hours on it, I talked him down to $3000.00 I thought it was a good deal plus they threw in new tires all the way around :)
    now I just need to get another set of blades for it [ for dubbles ] and it will be ready for the season :) :) :)

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Be cautious with JD's and double blades. They have a spindle shaft nub that sticks down into the blade, then they are held on by a 5/8" bolt. If you want to run double blades, you need to find a set of (I guess) 16.5" blades with a 5/8' hole as your bottom set, and your OEM set for the top or spindle side. What engine does this 725 have in it? They were pretty good machines when they came out.

Good Luck

3. plow kid

plow kid Banned

looks like a kaw,a ***** to start in the cold, like a kaw, but dosen't sound like a kaw

4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Ummmm, ... you spent money on a machine and you dont know what size motor it has???

That is one of the major determineing factors when we are purchasing new or newer equipment is to make sure that we have the right amount of (_!_) to get the job done.

Just make sure you know what you are getting into in the future so you dont end up with a shiner. CoNgRaTuLaTiOnS on your purchase!!!

Good Luck this season!
    Kris

5. plow kid

plow kid Banned

I know it has a kawasaki but I have never owned a mower with a kaw that sounded like this one,....sooo smooth
    because it is a twin cyl.

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Plow-Kid,

Your engine is a FD611V, 585cc, 20hp @3600 RPM, 32lb/ft torque, liquid cooled. This was designed for the 54" decks. You have a 48", so you have a very good power to inch ratio! Should be a powerhouse! Look to see when the coolant was changed last. If unknown, change it now, the radiators were aluminum and old antifreeze can be corrosive. Use Dexcool (orange stuff) when you replace the green stuff (etheylene glycol) thats probably in it now. Check the hydro oil as well and change it (JD brand) and the filter, its good cheap insurance. Keep it greased and it will last a LONG LONG time!!

7. plow kid

plow kid Banned

Would the DC VTC oil work? I have herd nothing but praises about it.

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

NO !!! Use JD Hy-gard ( I think) and a JD filter. Yours uses an ATF type fluid, NOT a engine oil such as the ZTR's.

Check your owners manual!!