New toy...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KirbysLawn, Jun 22, 2001.

1. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Check out my new toy. Won on Ebay and will pick up in Atlanta next week before the Braves game. Plan is to target 2 exclusive neighborhoods that have Bermuda fronts and fescue backs, maybe and untapped market around here. If all works out hope to upgrade to Toro, National or TruCut. We will see....

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

You get all the Boy Toys Ray. :D

Let us know how this venture turns out. Sounds like a good idea.
  3. coalburner

coalburner LawnSite Member

I was wondering does it have a solid roller in the back or just two wheels? How does it stripe? I was thinking about the manual push model for myself. I have a very small front yard.

PS That yard looks great!

George aka coalburner
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

When that picture was halfway loaded, I said "boy, looks like Ray got a McLane Edger just like mine" as your handles and such are exactly the same as their edgers. Now if you pull that chain guard off the side and install an edger blade......Nah just kidding. Good luck with it!
  5. KindGardener

KindGardener LawnSite Member

That looks a lot like MY McLane 21" - but without the scratches & chips. Cuts real nice, so long as the turf is smooth (so it doesn't bounce).

Mind my asking what didja pay for it? One bonus of living in SoCal is that they are made here & I see a lot of 'em for sale (used) in the paper, if you're patient, you can get a newer one for a great price.

coalburner - yes it has a wide (about 12") "drive" roller in the center back.

If you can get by with a 21", instead of a 25, the it's a good machine & a lot less than a Tru-Cut.
  6. coalburner

coalburner LawnSite Member

Something tells me that the push model doesn't have a roller in the back...[​IMG]
  7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Kirby, I just picked up a Bunton reel mower. It has a Kubota diesel on it with 1000 hrs on it. It cuts about 60" with 3 reels and everything seems to work good. I bought it at an auction sale ( of course) it was formally used by the city. I am likely going to resale it or redo it into a sell propelled sprayer and maybe mount my aerator on it too. It has hydraulic lift which would be real handy for the aerator. It also has a nice fast ground speed.
  8. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

never thought i'd see people getting IN to reel mowing. I had one of these a while back and was constantly fixing, sharpening, adjusting, Just to mow MY bermuda lawn. I'll admit it was smooth and got compliments, but I gave up spending 2 hours to mow twice a week. Good luck and I hope people will pay the premium price for the premium look/. Dave g
  9. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I wonder what our fellow member, powerreel thinks of this machine? Is it a good one?
  10. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

It's a cheap one compaired to some, I'm sure he will validate that. I paid $430 for this one, I'm testing the water in this market before I invest big $$$ in a better one. The area I plan targeting is million+ homes & most want their lawns looking the best! With proper equipment & care I feel I can convince more when they see the difference.