New Toy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Art Stubbs handy 58, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Art Stubbs handy 58

Art Stubbs handy 58 LawnSite Member

Well I'm all:D with my new toy, just bought a Echo Pole Prunner PPT2400, I have already done 3 jobs with it, man this cuts like no tomorrow, paid $600.00 for it little pricey i thought at first when i was pricing them, but it has paid for itself and have made a little money, but now i can start making some real good money with it...

Have 4 more jobs lined up for from my fall flyers i just sent out, if your thinking about one, i would suggest this one, well worth the money... well have fun and be safe....later
  2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

How long do you think the chain would stay sharp under normal use?? Is it sharpened like a chainsaw??
  3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Art Stubbs:

FYI,I found that its cheaper to buy a new chain than to have the dull one sharpened.

4. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

don't buy a new chain, just buy an electric sharpner for it. they are about the price of a new chain or two, but you can sharpen them a lot of times before you need to replace it.
  5. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a good eye and hand, you can use a "rat tooth" file, it take a couple of times to get used to getting it right, but once you have it, your chain will always be sharp. It would be good to get the hang of it so you can sharpen it in the field. They also sell a "chain sharpening kit" at most any place that sells chain saws, they do work and take a lot of guess work out of it by giving you a fence guide to follow to get the correct angle and pitch. A couple of passes on each tooth and you are done:D
  6. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Chain for my Pole Prunner cost me $4.38 each made up by my dealer. My labor rate is $40.00 per hour. You can't begin to sharpen enough chains to be cost effective at new chain price.

7. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i don't mean to be a smart a** but those new chains aren't going to instantly put themselves on the saw. your going to have to put them on. and on that small of a chain i bet with a electric sharpener, (mine hooks up to the cigerette lighter in my truck), i bet you'd get a sharp chain faster by sharpening the old one.
  8. DBLC

DBLC LawnSite Member
    from AR

GET A DREMIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:
  9. soccer coach

soccer coach LawnSite Member
    from midwest

Very nice saw. It takes less than a minute to put a chain on so I would go with the new one. Every time you try and sharpen the chain you easily to increase the kickback of the saw. Did you get the 5 foot extension that is fixed with it? It makes the unit heavy but boy can you get to things,if you can lift it:p . My customers jaws would drop when I would get a branch they couldn't get with a ladder while I'm standing on the ground:D . THe only trouble we have had is keep the gear drive for the head packed with grease. THe manual tells it is sealed but it isn't and will take out the gears if it gets low. 6 bolts to lift off the plate and take a peek.