1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New toys, alterations,changes,add-on services.......improvements.....etc.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tomoaktree, May 30, 2001.

1. tomoaktree

tomoaktree LawnSite Member
    from WNY

Has anyone made any changes or improvements to their business , equipment or bought anything this year that they are particularly pleased with?

:blob3: :blob1:
  2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I changed my biz name this year, my name wasn't out enough last year for people to know the difference and the reason I did so is because I want to do small landscaping jobs and added landscape and design to my services. I bought a Toro Groundsmaster 118 44" this year and am very happy with it. It was used and I paid $1200 for it. That's pretty much all that's new this year. Hopefully new accounts will follow as well. :D
  3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I done in posted what I was a changin'. Fittin ta cut back on the crap yards and do more for the good n's. My new goal for commercial accounts is to win the beautification award at as many as I can. Got 5 in the bag, looking for #6.

New toys?

24 trailer
    Brand spankin' new Stihl trimmer

what I want: A rain machine that I can turn on at midnight 3 times a week and let it run for 2 hrs.
  4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

That would be perfect homer, when you find one let us know where you found it, I want one of those too!!!
    As for as changes, I sweat all winter about letting some of the slow paying customers go,and a couple jobs that wanted nothing but mowing{they didn`t trim bushes,weed either). I let the slow pays go, and also the jobs go that didn`t do weeding,trmming bushes,etc. that when I left still didn`t look perfect. When I leave a job my signature is on the job for all to see, and I just didn`t want my name on the ones that didn`t keep their properties up. I picked up 3 new ones that pay more and this is what I didn`t think would happen.
  5. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

homer can you tell us more on your awards . who gives theses out.i have seen some at mc donald but i thought it was the lawncare compsny that gave them out .kind of like away to kiss but for all the money
    that they have spent on there lawn.
  6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I bought a 98 Ford f150. I like it better than the 79 chevy beleive it or not. Now the 79 chevy is a backup/neighbor eyesore.
  7. swn

swn LawnSite Member

I got a new grasshopper 725K and a stihl BR400. Look forward everyday to firing both of them up.
    The top thing on my wish list is a Powerstroke! The Dodge 360 is killing me $$$$$$.
  8. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

Changed my pricing/billing to total for season divided into 7 months, LOVE IT! (can you say consistent payments, higher prices? :)

Bought a JD 36 WB from the Lawnsite used equip. It is a great machine and business has really exploded here early on and I am so glad I have this machine to help with the duties.

Have had 4 sprinkler installs fall in my lap and am enjoying the new venture. I've done sprinklers before but now I'm getting paid decent to install.
  9. Mike (MLC)

Mike (MLC) LawnSite Member

Things I have changed: Well I have dropped the people that were giving me trouble. I kept them on for a while until business starting getting better and now that I am doing fine, I have kicked the trouble makers to the curb!!
    New toys: I have quite a few. I just got my Lazer Hp 52" last week, I have gotten 2 new stihl weedeaters, 2 new stihl hedge trimmers, 2 stihl back pack blowers and a back pack sprayer. I was in great need of some up dated equipment. My next goal is to get me a better truck. Not sure how long this old thing can hold up.
  10. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

started to use flat rates for mulching and installations for landscaping, and seeding. besides that business is booming, its very hard to keep up right now.