New toys- Echo edger and Toro/LawnBoy union!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Apr 8, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Yesterday was a good day; got a new account (15-20 minutes, $25), picked up an edger attachment for my Echo split boom and got the half breed 21" done (well, still working on muffler lol they are loud w/o one). It is a 21" Toro 3 speed rear drive rear bagger with steel wheels and gears in back (greasable) and a Lawn Boy 2 cycle engine. It also still has the really nice Toro anti scalp blade cup underneath (for those of you who don't know, these work great). This mower is all about productivity!! It's fast, powerful and fairly ergonomic. I also have a tine rake "dethatcher" for the front of it (not a real performer but would work good to get up stuck leaves and grass). I have another Toro 21" I'm working on, a front drive single speed rear bagger/mulch/discharge (had a hole cut in the deck for discharging so I'm gonna make a plate with wing nuts to mulch or bag). It has a 3.5hp Tecumseh, an OK engine.

The edger I wasn't terribly impressed with but it was really wet almost muddy yesterday and doing the initial edge on an overgrown edge, it may have been unfair but on the 2400 series unit it was underpowered and the sheild plugged up several times causing the blade to stop spinning. I guess I expected more from this but I suppose it will be great for established edges.

apr08219.jpg

2. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

May paint the Lawn Boy engine black LOL.

Here's the edger:

apr08220.jpg

3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

No comments on the Toro?? come on several of you wanted to see that one...

4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

BHB-Looks good, it reminds me of some of the projects my friend and I used to do when we were young. Can't say they always worked, though!! I just put together a Lawn-Boy last year with parts from 3 or 4 others. It is ugly as heck but hey, it cuts grass! We really don't use the 21"s much so I hate to buy new ones. I will try to get pics of my "Frankenstein" mower. Mike

5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

you shoulda got the new edger. it was just released at the beginning of this month i beleive. it wont clog anymore cause they opened the side face up on it... and just put a rubber flap. maybe you can go in and trade for the new style. i had the one you have right now, (well, until it got stolen last week along with most of my other equipment). i decided to go with stihls split boom this time. ive used their trimmers working for another company, and i think they have a little more grunt than the echo does.

6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

heres a pic of it. i cant tell if this is just a cutaway of the original one or not though. the new one is stainless steel in color, and has pretty much no shroud on the right side, and just has a bigger rubber flap. i saw it in a brouchure echo sent me the other day...and i talked to the rep at a recent show about em.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

BHB,

Elaborate on the Lawnboy exhaust. How did you do that ? Cause Lawn Boy engines are LOUD as can be with open exhaust, and loose a lot of power without some type of restriction.

As for your Echo edger. I have the same exact unit. Been using it for a few years now (whenever the split booms first came out) It is doing fine. Power can sometimes be an issue though with the 2400. If I were going to buy an edger, it'd be the 3100. Mine only clogs when its real muddy. The screwdriver/sparkplug wrench they give you with it is nice for scooping out the dirt/grass that gets packed up in there.

Have fun and be SAFE!

8. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Matt I guess I'll just cut the side off of mine, it would be the same thing and it's already dirty anyway.

Tommy it has a rectangular opening out the bottom of the block, I made a plate to go over it with small holes in it. Not great need to make a box like one with better baffles but it is still loud.
    My edger package is missing the wrench? Well I have the tools anyhow lol. I think my carburetor needs adjusted on the s/b Echo it seems I could get more RPM's and power from it definately.

9. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

You must have too much time on your hands. It makes sense to save money by putting together different parts to make a tool for working that helps you, but I would rather trash an old piece and buy a new one. Good luck.

10. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

There was nothing wrong with either one, I just liked the Toro machine better than LB and liked the LB engine better than the Tecumseh.