New Tractor...What do u think????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cleancut, Dec 17, 2000.

1. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

I'm thinking about buying a small compact tractor with a front-end loader..Diesel also..Check this one out at http://www.northerntractor.com and let me know what u think...I'm interested in the 20hp diesel..Oh, by the way how do u hilite websites after u type them in???Thanks for the help and advice..CleanCut

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have also thought about that tractor. My only concern is where do you get it repaired when needed. The price is great on them, but I'm sure they have some place that you could take them for repair. If you get this, please let me know more details on it and any info you get on it. I think I would spring for the extra bucks and get the 25 HP engine if you ever plan on using anything like the brush hog.

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

To answer your other question, is this what you were asking how to do?
    Northern Tractor Web Site

If so, I'll have to email you the answer so you can see the html code for it.

4. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I am considering purchasing a tractor next season myself. I thgink I would be real leary of this one though. Parts availability, service, etc. I have a line up on a '99 New Holland 25 hp diesel, but I am REAL leary about the smal engine. I was always looking at atLEAST a 33 hp. With a 25, it would only be delivering around 20hp out the PTO which I feel just isn't enough to push a brushhog. Anyone have a tractor this size they hog with?

6. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

I already have an 8N..It's great...I've done alot of work with it but I want something a little newer with 4wd..CleanCut

7. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

hello,

I've seen the northern tractors and was interested also, especially with the price they have on them.

However, I remembered one thing. You get what you pay for!

When out shopping, the only others out there will be kubota, john deere, and new holland, at least for this category tractor.

For example, take a B21 kubota. By the time you get a loader, a backhoe, and whatever else, your at close to 27K. A big difference between the northern, or any other Chinese tractor.

I will say that these tractors seem too good to be true.

I would personally stay away from any of the chinese imports. Maybe someone has had good success with them, and I would be interested in hearing about it. However, until I can see some real proof, I would have to shell out the big $ on a proven tractor before I would by one.

If you really want a tractor, and say to yourself that "well, I'm not going to use it all that much, and therefore can't see spending that much money", I would think of a used machine instead of one of these imports.

If you really have to have new, then there are some cheaper, quality machines out there, such as the termites or the 'Dig It's'. They have a proven track record in the rental industry, and you get a lot for your buck.

I wouldn't want to be the person first in line for one of these to only find out its a piece of junk.

steveair

8. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Ok guys lets look at this a different way, they have 4 service centers, parts warranty for one year, you pay for labor. Don't know about these tractors but the parts arn't the hard part it's the labor rate that makes me nervous, plus you have to be close to a service center! No for me I'll buy the brand names first, they give me a one or two year warranty, plus if something goes wrong they will give me a machine so I'm not stopped from doing my job. Now if I was looking for something to play with then maybe but that is a big MAYBE.

besides I like just a little more HP than 20 or 25 hp (is that at the PTO?) If it's engine HP then a 25 hp is only getting 20 at the PTO

9. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

10. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

I ran a 870 JD for several years 27hp engine 25pto pulled a 5'Bush Hog with no problem. Also pulled a square baler with it several times. Stick with the name brands also Yanmar is a good tractor as they make several for John Deere. But my choices would Massey, New Holland ,JD or Kuboba.