new trailer add-on

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rrodgers, May 24, 2008.

1. rrodgers

rrodgers LawnSite Member

Hey guys...I am brand new to the biz and need some advice. Picked up new trailer a few days ago and need to add a box for storing trimmers, gas cans, small parts, etc. Anyhow, I know most guys use the steel boxes with the mest panels but I am thinking of building a wood box that can keep out the rain as well as be locked up when I'm away from the trailer. I think wood is lighter in weight and I'm sure it would be cheaper. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

looks are crucial in this business. the wood might be cheaper initially, but the metal w/ the mesh looks a lot more professional. anyone can "cut" a yard, i sell partly b/c i look and act professional. go w/ i nice metal box. you might do great work, but if someone sees your trailer at lunch next to mine, they might very well choose me b/c my trailer looks like a lawn trailer. im not trying to knock you at all, but looking professional is very important. if you have a nice set-up people will trust you w/ a lot more than a weekend warrior. good luck. and welcome to lawnsite.

3. thezaz

thezaz LawnSite Member

Cheaper but it only takes a seconed to get a bar under that and snap open. if you know a welder have them rig something up for you. Can always fined scrap metal. http://www.rackemmfg.com/ I get some stuff from them. And you can clame it all on taxes. I have a 6x12 and I have all my stuff locked up on racks and i know it's work but take it all off at night and inside I don't have a place to store a trailers yet. But it's your call in the end.

4. rrodgers

rrodgers LawnSite Member

I completely agree that presentation is key. That was my main reason for going with a new trailer that I could afford over a beat up used one for less.

Perhaps I should clarify what I meant by a "wood box". It would be framed with 2x4, walled with sheeting of decent thickness but not plywood as that would be too much, piano style hinge on top sheet for access. All of the box would be painted black to match the trailer (although I am thinking of some thin diamondplate as accent/corner support). Overall dimensions would roughly be about 6'w x 2'5"l x 3'h.

The size allows me to store timmers, blower, gas, sprayer, hand-tools, small spare parts, etc. without getting soaked in rain and should be more secure against theft. But maybe getting soaked isn't a concern to be worried about? Any more thoughts? Thanks again!

5. dura to the max

from georgia

wood is going to look like wood. period. imo the wooden one is going to look cheap. if you do build your own though, mont the door facing the rear of the tow vehicle. my home made one was a top access and it got to be a pain. my new trailer faces the butt of the trailer, and isnt as easily accessed as it would have been had it faced the butt of the tow vehicle. by facing it this wasy the trailer can be fully loaded, or the mower pulled all the way up to the box, and you can still have %100 access to all the tools kept in the box. this is really handy when hauling pine-straw to multiple jobs. i say go w/ the metal.

6. HandyHomeMedic

HandyHomeMedic LawnSite Member

I modified my trailer last summer. Added racks and built a box in the front that holds my gas cans, hand tools, milk crates with assorted oils etc... I had enough $ at the time for the framing but not the mesh. So, I built the walls of 3/4" ply and screwed them into the frame.

Over this past winter and this now very rainy spring in NJ, the wood is deteriorating and looks like crap. I just went to a welder today and got the quote for 7/8" mesh to replace the wood.

If it's a question of appearance over not being in business, f' it! Pull a little red wagon, a donkey whatever it takes! But if you have at least the beginning capital to get off the ground, invest wisely and listen to your colleagues here. Appearance does count. You should personally look professional. Your vehicles should look as good as they can and your trailers should too.

You only have one chance to make a first impression. If you look like an ex-con driving a Sanford & Son truck, they might give me or someone else here a call first! :laugh:

7. dura to the max

from georgia

great advice. the mesh boxes go from $400-$500

8. rrodgers

rrodgers LawnSite Member

hahahaha....I love it...Sanford & Son, haven't seen that in years! But, I do see the point you guys are making, and honestly I do agree that metal looks better and will of course last longer. Looks like a trip to a few metal shops is in order, at least for getting some estimates before a decision is made.

Let me ask though, as I see everyone riding around with mesh, does it hurt the equipment to get soaked in the rain. Here in Florida, it can rain damn near anytime if even just for five minutes so you could drive through it on the way to a job. Starting problems when wet?

Thanks again for the advice, I truly appreciate it.

9. dura to the max

from georgia

i have the mesh on my trailer, usually it gets pasked under the shed. in mid ga though the weather can change ina heartbeat, ive never had a problem w/ it not starting, maybe a few more choked pulls. just be sure to face the door forward, im kicking myself for not doing that.

10. Saltydawg

Saltydawg LawnSite Member

Most lawn equipment isn't going to be hurt by rain. You dont want water in the exhaust or intakes of your engines and you dont want it in the fuel ... but these are all pretty well protected from the factory.