New Trailer For A New Guy Starting Out!!!!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by RamosMidTn, Nov 28, 2013.

1. RamosMidTn

RamosMidTn LawnSite Member

Hi, im currently starting my first season this up coming season! I'm currently in the market for a trailer and wanted some advice from the pros, my work truck is a f150 4x4 with a 8 foot bed. So some advice on what size everyone would think would be great for just starting out, been thinking of my options as far as what mower I will be running and figured I would run a walk behind mower then upgrade when the time is right! Thanks for the advice and Help!!

Happy ThanksGiving

2. Dr. Cornwallis

Dr. Cornwallis LawnSite Senior Member

I'd get a nice 5x8 Trailer, don't skimp on quality. Big Tex makes some nice 5x8's.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. lightdutylandscape

lightdutylandscape LawnSite Member

6x12 would be good for your truck

4. NJ Grass

NJ Grass LawnSite Member

I started out just as you are. I ended up buying a 6x10 open trailer brand new for like $1500. Initially I only had one mower, but as I picked up new equipment and jobs I quickly realized I could've used a larger trailer as you will too. The name of the game in this business is always buy big, you will constantly be growing. Especially In the first few years.

If I had to do it again, the first trailer I would've bought would've been a 16' or bigger open trailer. Knowing what I know now I also would've made sure I bought it used. If you watch craigslist you can snag a nice 16' or 18' open landscape trailer for between $1000-$1800. Almost the same price as a new smaller one.

Granted you might think you look silly hauling a huge trailer with one mower but you won't feel that way when you have a huge debris removal or mulch delivery/install job. Just something to consider.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. RamosMidTn

Thanks guys the idea of a 5x10 has been crossing my mind but like you said grass will end up wishing I got something bigger

6. skorum03

skorum03 LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with a 6 x 12 or 6 x14 single axle. I just started up 3 years ago now and wish thats what I had bought right away. Good size for a half ton truck. On either of those size trailers you can fit at least one zero turn and a walk behind. Maybe two zero turns

YardBros Outdoors
    wwwyardbros.com

7. Dr. Cornwallis

Dr. Cornwallis LawnSite Senior Member

The recommendations for a pod 6x12 or 6x14 are good, I probably should have purchased a bigger trailer initially.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. skorum03

skorum03 LawnSite Senior Member

No one ever complains about having too much trailer room. Pricing difference from 6 X 10 to 6 X 12 to 6 X 14 isn't huge. The step from single to double axle is definitely more significant of a price jump. Since youre just starting out you probably don't need a double axle trailer yet. Get one of the biggest single axles you can, you'll be happy you did.

YardBros Outdoors
    www.yardbros.com

9. RamosMidTn

that some great advice thanks guys think im gonna start shoping for the 6x10+ trailers

10. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Silver Member

I would never want a single axle trailer. Loaded wrong, it will sway on you. And much less stable on the road.