New trailer help decide

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by yeayea14, Jan 24, 2009.

1. yeayea14

yeayea14 LawnSite Member

I am looking to buy a new trailer for the upcoming season. Im not sure if i want to go with a 20ft or a 24ft. Cost is not the issue, i was thinking that pulling a 24ft trailer might be a little hard to find enough curb space when doing lawns.

2. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

What are you looking to carry ? We run 20' Pace Summits and carry 2 XS zs a walkbehind and push , or 3 Xs zs and a 36" in the bed of the truck.

3. yeayea14

yeayea14 LawnSite Member

I will be carrying a Z two walk behinds and a push. I know that the twenty is enough but im looking at it for the long run. I just dont want to have to buy a new trailer every couple of years.

4. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I would think that the 20 would be sufficient. I have a 16 foot v nose enclosed trailer and I can fit a walkbehind, Z, Navigator, push mower as well as handhelds, hand tools and a shelf in the front (in the V). It's a little tight but with four extra feet you should be good for a while. But at the same time if you think you have room at most of your accounts for the 24 than go for that.

5. yeayea14

yeayea14 LawnSite Member

D-Lawns, Thats what im worried about having room in front of all of my customers houses. But at the same time even if i had to block the drive way the average size yard i do only takes 15 minutes maybe twenty and the price difference between the 20ft and 24ft is only 600 hundred dollars.

6. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I'd say get the 24 then, that way you won't need to upgrade for a long time.

7. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

If you ever have plans on towing with a stake body or dump truck then make sure you get the extended tounge. It gives you a much better turning radius,and its nice not having to worry about turning sharp or jack knifing the rig.

8. yeayea14

yeayea14 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice!!!

9. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I think a 20' would hold you for a few years, And on you have the need for holding more mowers you'll have a second crew. The only time my 20' gets tight is in the fall with the push blowers and mowers and all that random stuff that ends up in there. Now unless your working large acres you wont need a 24'. But if your on one or two properties all day you may want the 24'.

Paint the floors ASAP when you get it.

10. HBLandscaping

HBLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with DLawns, If the price is only a matter of $600 for the 24ft and money is not a problem for then go with the 24ft, I'd rather have more room then I need then not enought room and need it.