New Trailer needs no ramp

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fdew, Apr 4, 2000.

1. fdew

fdew LawnSite Member

A while back I asked this forum to have some fun and tell me what the perfect mower would be.<br>(I'm a mechanical designer so this is my idea of fun.) One person on the forum and one local friend told me to work on a better trailer. One where there would be no time lost getting on and off it. I have designed the trailer. You can see it at http://www.lbpinc.com/trailer.html<p>I need your help. I am not a landscaper so I don't know what is good and what isn't I would like to design and build this product but I want it to be the way you think it should so please take a look and tell me what is good and what is bad. And most important, Is it worth anything at all to save the time of putting the ramp up and down.<p>Some sample questions<br>1.Is this of any value.<br>2.Do you want to control it from the truck or the mower seat so you can jump on the mower, start it, and drive off with zero delay. How long a delay on lift is to long 10 sec (while you climb off and walk to the truck.) 20 sec? <br>3.The trailer can't be duel axle. But it could use the same tire and wheel as your truck Would that be important.<br>4.The floor is open grating for strength, light weight and non slip. Is this good? Is wood better?<br>5.What size should it be? Or should there be a large and a small.<br>Hit it guys. Don't be nice and don't be shy. I want professional input.<p>If the response os positive I will build them.<p>Frank

2. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE SOME SORT OF REAR GATE THAT WENT UP AND DOWN DURING THIS DROPPING PROCESS.MORE OF A SAFETY FEATURE,I'M SURE D.O.T WOULD ALSO.THE SINGLE AXLE WOULD HAVE TO BE VERY STOUT,AS WOULD THE FRAME.THE WIDTH WOULD HAVE TO BE A FACTOR ALSO,6'6&quot;MIN. (BARELY ENOUGH ROOM FOR 72&quot; ZTR) IN MY CASE I WOULD MOUNT A BOX,TRIMMER STAND,TWO MOWERS EACH AT 1000lbs.GREAT IDEA,KEEP GOING! <p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING

3. ProCut Lawn Service

ProCut Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I agree, I would prefer to have a rear gate also. I know of to many instances where mowers have slid off the rear, even when tied down.<p>----------<br>ProCut Lawn Service<br>Lakeland, Fl

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

This would be great for Winter,moving a tractor with blower,small skid steer or any thing else that would fit. No slipery ramps. I seen a small trailer advertised two years ago that had a cable + crank arrangement that pivoted the axle.I lost the ad and haven't seen it again. I had a snow route that I was going to use my Walker mower with a blower on instead of my truck+plow because of close quaters but the departure angle on my trailer would not allow loading. This would have been perfect.

5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Put some kind of locking bar accross the back for safty.

6. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Neat Concept.<p>I think the guys who would utilize a single axle trailer wouldn't want to spend the money on what this trailer would cost.

7. fdew

fdew LawnSite Member

OK. Thanks for the input so far. A rear gate is easy. It will be automatic. (Drops when the trailer contacks the road.) 3000 lb, a little wider, Tell me more.<p>Thanks again<p>Frank

8. Alan

Alan Member

Hey Lazer, just what was that remark about a guy who would buy a single axle trailer supposed to mean? For all the weight we actually have on a mowing trailer you don't need a tandem, it's just that nobody builds a single axle with enough deck space. The limitation is NOT the axle ratings, it's easy enough, and totally practical, to get 6,600 pounds GVW on a single axle trailer. And spare me the stuff about tandems towing &quot;better&quot;, it's how well aligned the trailer is and how it's balanced that determines towing stability, not the number ot tires you're wearing out. I haven't looked at this new setup yet, but I will, sounds like a decent idea to me.

9. Alan wrote:<p>&gt;And spare me the stuff about tandems towing &quot;better&quot;, <p>Try towing a 16ft single axle travel trailer<br>vs. a 16ft tandem axle travel trailer.<br>Then you would have enough experince not<br>to make such a ridiculous statement.

10. Alan

Alan Member

Frank, I just visited your site. I like the concept of the trailer! I build trailers as a sideline, so I know some about what is involved. One main concern I would have is that the spindles will be attached to the swing arms that carry the load. With no axle beam going full width there will be some VERY serious bending moments generated any time you hit a bump. The air bags will be more forgiving than springs would be, but over time there will be a tendency to create negative camber which is going to affect towing stability. Would there be room for an axle beam under the chassis? Another question/comment, what will you use for bushings where the swing arms attach to the frame? That is another place where wear will degrade towing characteristics.