1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

New Trailer! (pics)

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by wvaughn7, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

2 things....

1: Remove the handle that you added to the tailgate. It is a serious tripping hazard and is in a bad place to lift anyway. Reattach it to the top of the gate and let a professional weld it.

2: Replace the expanded metal on the tailgate. It is still all bent up and has a hole in it. Cosmetically it's not too bad but structurally, it's crap.

2. TNGrassCutter

TNGrassCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

what did you paint with

3. wvaughn7

wvaughn7 LawnSite Member

I do agree with you about not having a great deal, but the same trailer new was quoted to me at $1795 plus tax from three different trailer dealers in my area. I'm in no way worried about getting ripped off though. :)

I never thought about that really being in the way there, but now that you mention it it does seem like awful placement. Also on the expanded metal I plan to use it for a while to see if it holds up. If it doesn't it will be replaced, but we drove our 4000 pound tractor onto it and it didn't bend or break any welds.

We did a base coat with Rustoleum extreme weather that was brushed on nice and thick and then sprayed the non wearing areas with extorior spray paint to smooth it up a bit and darken the black up some more.

And to whomever it was asking the brand of the trailer I have no idea, but it was originally from Texas.

4. TNGrassCutter

just wondering if you used automobile paint, i have a 5x10 that i beat the crap out of every year with stuff i dont want to tear up my 16ft and i repaint it about every year to keep it shiny!

5. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I agree about the handles on the gate...take them off of there...bad idea. I would have welded them to the side but you don't really need them.

6. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't think its a 10 thousand lb trailer from what I see.

7. TNGrassCutter

how can you tell

8. wvaughn7

wvaughn7 LawnSite Member

Exactly what I was wondering TN. What you can't see is that there is now a piece of 2" angle iron every 2 feet down the length of the trailer and we also added 4" channel iron from the tongue rearward. 10000 pounds was my estimate of its capacity with the trailer weight included if that changes your opinion on things also. The paint was not automobile paint either, just regular Rustoleum severe weather paint in gloss black.

Also you wouldn't happen to be in my neck of the woods would you TN?

9. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

The limiting factor is not the frame..it's the axles!! Are they 3500 or 5000 pound axles?

10. LibertyFarmLandscaping

LibertyFarmLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE TX

I would hate to put 10000 lbs on that light weight tounge. If you plan on putting that heavy of a load on it you might one to put a bull dog style hitch on it. Maybe even a 2 5/16" ball hitch rather than a 2".