1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

New Trailer Question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by BVLAWNCARE, Jun 28, 2004.

1. BVLAWNCARE

BVLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

I am not in the market for my third trailer. The one I have is just simply to small (It is a 3 1/2 x 8 that I use my tractor to pull) and i now have a truck and will soon be getting my license (with in July 30) and i have the money for my next (real) trailer. I have $1700 to spend and Im looking for a nice open trailer. What size can I get? Could I get a double axle even?! The websites i've lookeed at dont have prices for the trailer. I'd like a Big Tex trailer but im not sure of any dealers in the Chicago area. Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks

Vince

2. BVLAWNCARE

Uh oh! I meant to say that i am NOW in the market for a new trailer and not i am not in the market. Just a simple typo whoops!

3. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

get a used one... look in the classified section of the paper, or maybe if your lucky you will just see one for sale in your everyday life. you can get a real nice big trailer for that much. if i were you i wouldnt spend more on 1000 on your first trailer. 1000 can get you a awsome used trailer IMO, or atleast around here. i picked up my 5x10 for 300 and only had to weld a brace in and weld some supports on the gate.

although either this year, or next im going to be buying an enclosed bigger trailer, probably a 16 or 18 footer. and im also looking to buy a bigger open trailer, probably a 16footer real soon. and sell my 5x10. so that way ill have a open 16 and enclosed 16. then maybe make the open 16 into a dump but at least i'd have two if i decide to run 2 crews next year.

4. firekilr2

firekilr2 LawnSite Member

Rondo enterprises in Sycamore Illinois. Great prices. Look up on line. Got my trailer there.

5. pea

pea LawnSite Member

A lot of the trailers sold in Illinois are made in Sikeston, MO. They have 1000's down there. You can go down there and by one at a real good price. Good luck to you.
    pea

6. turftammer

turftammer LawnSite Member

pea said just what I was thinking I have always bought mine there I bought 2-16' dualaxle with gate for $715 ea. but thats a long ways from you but there are some manufacturers in elkhart,indiana which I beleive is in nw indiana and a $1000 should buy you a real nice trailer

7. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

I will probably be selling mine when I have a smaller trailer built.

lsidetrailer.jpg

8. BVLAWNCARE

Interesting info guys, oh and imograss, how much?

9. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

I have over 2500.00 in it. It was built this spring. I will probably ask 2000.00 for it when my other trailer is finished. I will holg 6 trimmers 3 b.p. blowers, 6 hand tools, spare, spring assisted lift for gate ect.

10. pea

pea LawnSite Member

imograss,
    What is a spring assisted gate?
    pea