New trailer time

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by BSDeality, Aug 11, 2004.

1. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

Well, i got in a big wreck and my tongue got bent on my old trailer (6x10). i fixed it, but decided i need a larger trailer anyways.

here she is. it's a 6x12 with a 60"w side gate. and 72"w rear gate. I immediately put electric brakes on it since poor stopping distance was the reason i had to get a new trailer anyways. For you guys that think its not worth it, it is. i love this trailer over my old one because i swapped out the brakes.

I

100_1057.jpg

2. BSDeality

i added some recessed floor rings to hold down the Z

100_1058.jpg

3. BSDeality

i also bought 12 D-rings to weld onto the side frames of the trailer. Was going to put them on today, but it rained.

100_1059.jpg

4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

That's nice. Mind if I ask what you paid for it?

What brand?

Do they make it with a smaller side gate (like 36"-48" wide)?.

5. BSDeality

While i was at it i spent another $80 and put on a break-a-way kit. I know the chance of it ever being put to use is very small, but $80 is cheap enough insurance for me.

100_1060.jpg

6. BSDeality

this is the last one, i bought a brake controller for the truck but i don't really like the way this one works. i think i'm going to get a better one. i mistakenly thought it was an inertia controller, but its not.

100_1061.jpg

7. BSDeality

it is a Carry-On brand trailer. I paid $1300 for the trailer with the gates, i bought it @ tractor supply co.

They make the same trailer without the front/side gate, but not with different sizes ( i don't think). the 60" gate is the only way to go IMO. i can get my 50" WB up fine, i could get a 52/54" up there also, I'd rather have the gate 6" too wider than it needs to be than have it need to be 6" wider when i'm in a pinch.

Overall I'm satisfied with the new trailer. It's not quite as beefy as my old trailer. I have a feeling i'll be re-welding the expanded metal gates in a little while. However i was in a bind because of the accident and had to buy something that day.

all together it took me about 1 day to completely track down and install the brakes. I could probably do another trailer in half the time now that i know how.

8. BladeRunner1967

BladeRunner1967 LawnSite Member

how much does it cost to put brakes on a trailer?

9. BSDeality

all together i spent +/- $500 installing the brakes. that includes all the wires, connectors, hardware, new wiring harnesses.

rough break down as follows:
    (2) backing plates/shoes $60/ea
    (2) drums $65/ea
    (1) breakaway kit $80
    (1) controller $100
    and another $60-70 in harnesses, wires, connectors, etc.

costly? sure. worth it? ABSOLUTELY!

10. blair smock

blair smock LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

man I need to sell mine and get one of those!!!