New Trailer Treatment

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by bushvelt, Jan 26, 2006.

1. bushvelt

bushvelt LawnSite Member

Hi Guys,
    Just did a search of trailer bed treatment & didn't find any comments in the first 4 pages. I just bought a new 82.5"X16' open trailer & am wondering if anyone does a treatment of the wolminized decking & what did you use? I know that the treated lumber is pretty tough but every used trailer I looked @ had the wood beds starting to rot.
    Also, has anyone ever used contractor tool boxes as the storage box on their trailers? (i.e. Greenlee/ Ridgid). Waterproof, lockable, 2 bolts in the rail & roll it off.
    Thanks
    GREAT SITE

2. firecapt13

firecapt13 LawnSite Member
    from NC

try a do it yourself bedliner kit. i used the herculiner brand with great results. they have other off brands but i would go with herculiner

3. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

When I bought my trailer 3 years ago, the guy at the dealer said to use thomson's water seal. He said coat the top, but not the bottom, so it can 'breath'. He said if i did that it would "last forever". Have not tried it though.

4. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I heard the same thing. And as well i have not tried it.

5. FordManKubotaDreamer

FordManKubotaDreamer LawnSite Member

I have a sixteen foot trailer that I used deck stain on. It lasts about two year before it starts to wear off.
    p.s. I used the kind that has extra sealant in it.

6. ronniez71

ronniez71 LawnSite Member

Do u have a tractor supply store near u? They got some tractor and trailer paint that works great!! I did mine the other day in my buddies heated garage its for metal and wood $22gallon