New trailer

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Big Heath, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Big Heath

Big Heath LawnSite Member

What size works best 14 or 16? I have a small trailor I pull by ztr around with but it doesn't have any room for anything else. I am thinking of adding another ztr for next season. I know I want tandem axle but having difficulty trying to decide hos long. What would you guys/gals do if it was you?

2. SP Lawn Care

SP Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Go with the 16', in the end it will work better than the 14'.

3. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

2 Z's = 16
    I like my 14 but it is 8 foot wide, I put a 48 and a 36 across the front and than the z and a 21 across the back. With the 7 foot one we can only get 1 mower wide across the front so that set up will not work. With a rack/box across the front two Z will be better on the 16.

4. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

16 ft. works you must get your trimmers & blowers and hand tools out of the trailer mount them on the sides two ztr should fit you may even get a 21'' in the front. A 14 ft. is just to small !

5. ACutAboveKevin

ACutAboveKevin LawnSite Member

im rockin the 18 ft. cost me a pretty penny but i got the 4 foot chicken wire walls and all. i could fit prolly 4 surfer mowers on that thing. and it easily hold 9-10 cu. yrds of mulch.

6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

16foot dual axle is a common size and will be versitle! What truck will you be pulling it with?

7. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

Always go bigger then you think you need. I did and it's still not big enough. But remember you need to be able to tow it and park it on small streets and driveways.

8. Big Heath

Big Heath LawnSite Member

The truck I use is a 94 F-150. I looked at an 18 with ramps. I want a 16 with an extended gate I think.

9. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

Your Truck Is Too Small . I Use A 3/4 Ton And Still Need More Sometimes. Do You Work Around Flatland? You Will Need One Brake On A Axle. What About Your Hicth?

10. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

If you buy a 14 youll say man wish Id bought a 16 go 16 if you can afford it.