New Trailer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassyfras, Apr 8, 2002.

1. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Im thinking about getting a 5x8 trailer that costs 650. Im starting to get a few lawn jobs that I need a trailer to get to. Im setting my minumum cut at $25. How does that sound? Alot of people are use to paying $20 and im afraid that there going to have a problem paying $25. WHat do you all think? Also do you think this trailer will be able to haul a yard of mulch or more and how much lawn waste do you think it could hold? Where do you guys dump all your waste at? I would like to get a bigger trailer but space is a problem and my dad doesnt want me to get anything bigger hes jsut like that. Am I off to the right start?
  2. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

Try to get the biggest trailer you can even if it's only a couple feet longer. Trailer space is always an isue.

They make different axle weight limits I think you can get a 3500 lbs limit axle but you should ask what the max is. I've seen limits as low as 750 lbs.

Your minimum ?

I dump at several different Compost sites and farms.
  3. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

2 man crew hit it right on. Get the biggest you can afford. You will not regret it. Always better to have extra space than not enough.
  4. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, go big, I think I'll need at least a 6x16 in later years.

5. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I started out with a 6x12 with a drop gate. I used it for about 2 1/2 yrs. before I outgrew it. Now I have a dual axle 6.5 x 16. I also agree, buy more trailer than you think you need, (I wish I had). I think my 6.5x16 was about $1200.00 and my 6x12 was about $800.00. My 6x12 weighed about 700#'s. My 6.5x16 weighs about 1600 #'s. If you go with a big trailer make sure you have a strong enough vehicle to pull it. This is one of the nice things about this site, you can learn from other people's mistakes and do it right the first time. Good luck.
  6. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

i agree with what everyone else said and to answer ur one question about mulch i would think u could fit atleast 2 yards maybe 3 on the trailer, i believe a pickup can hold 2 and thats a 4x8 so u get a 5x8 and some nice sides i bet u could get 3.
  7. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Every body is right. Go with as much trailer as you can afford. And have truck to pull it. It has been my experience with trailers that are 10 feet long and over, you will really like having a 3/4 ton truck to pull it. Almost a neccesity I found out. If you have hills, or any kind of wind to deal with, smaller than that just gets thrown around pretty bad. And that can and does get nerve wracking after a while. Trust me.
  8. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I got a 24' enclosed i'll sell ya, wonder what Dad would think about that in his driveway?

It'll haul a lot of waste!
  9. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I wish i had found this site when i was starting out so people could tell me "the more you can afford, the better you will be". my first year i bought a 5 by 10 big tex and put trimmertraps. By the very next season, i needed a rider, so i went with an 8 by 14 enclosed trailer. Definately get as big of a trailer as you can afford, because the space fills up quickly.

PRECISION LC LawnSite Member

i started out with a 5x8 and i grew into it fast. i could only fit a 48" toro and a trim mower on there with barely any room to put anything else. when i asked this same question i got the same response, get the biggest you can afford. i am happy that i did.