New trend for Summer 2005

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Glenn J, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member

Burnt stripes! :D

It's been really really really dry here in CT this summer. That and the fact that we have a well has resulted in a very crispy lawn. At least I can still somewhat stripe.....

Burnt-Stripes-1.jpg

2. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member

Hopefully, the rain today will help. I think we're going to need more if we want to see the lawn green again.....

Burnt-Stripes-2.jpg

3. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

You do remember of course that running the mowers over crispy grass can cause wheel marks that can take a long time to grow out. On the other hand, you have a nicely striped lawn for week after week without mowing... lol

4. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member

"Damned if you do, damned if you don't" :D Parts of the lawn were really overgrown, so I had to mow those.

5. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

Hey Glenn,
    I feel your pain about the lack of rain :cry: ! Your lawn (and mine) look much drier than when we posted on the thread I started this past spring about "Homeowner Stripes". Your lawn is greener than mine right now though; my lawn is full sun. We have been getting some rain here in Eastern PA the last couple of days and I'm starting to see some green-up.
    Greg

6. Stan MI

Stan MI LawnSite Member
    from MI

I learn something every time I come here. I was going to post a question as to "What did I do when I drove across my lawn, left these DEAD strips." Now I know. Thanks !!

7. Larry Davis

Larry Davis LawnSite Member

I guess its the ole "feast or famine" thing when it comes to the amount of rainfall in different areas of the U.S. Here in the Smoky Mountains we have been getting very frequent rains for the past year and a half or so. I got this new Hustler Super Z on June 20 and have only been able to use it one time! Both of my properties are starting to look like jungles! Wet jungles! And, the clover is having a field day!

8. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member

It's cooled off a bit and we had some rain last week. The lawn has greened up nicely, but the really burnt spots still look pretty bad. If we could get some rain weekly, I think we'd be in better shape.