1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New trend in cemetery mowing????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hoosier Mower, Aug 22, 2001.

1. Hoosier Mower

Hoosier Mower LawnSite Member

I'm not sure if it's becomming a trend everywhere or just around here but starting to notice and hear that ALOT of people that are mowing cemetries are spraying grass killer around the immediate area around the tombstones so they don't have to trim then. I can't imagine doing such a thing but I see it happening every day around here. Is this becomming a trend and would you do the same if you was mowing a cemetery??
  2. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Alot of cemetaries in my area are spraying tombstones. I noticed alot of the tombstones are getting covered with mud when it's rainy. I don't care for the way it looks either. ED
  3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

ive seen cemetaries where most of the plots were white round rock in the plots.
  4. SpringValley

SpringValley LawnSite Member

I was told to spray around the stones on the cemeteries I mowed last year because the township didn't have enough money to maintain them properly. I only did that on one small cemetery to reduce my time there. Now I think the trend is not to mow them at all!!! I lost my cemeteries to the township trustee's son (who needed the $$ for college) and they have not been mowed for weeks and look awful. Politics.

5. DanG

DanG LawnSite Member

I can spray some of the ones that I do, (I do 4)but most times I don't.
    I think it makes it easier but you still have to trim in some areas that other wise would be to large to spray but to small to fit the mower.
    I think it looks just as good as when you trim but you have to keep the grass cut short and try not to blow to many clipping on the stones.
    Thats one good reason to trim is that it makes it neater looking in that instance.

Dan G
  6. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I would think that a PGR would be the way to go. This is why I'm working towards getting an applicator's license.
  7. Spraying around the tombstones will only work for awhile.Without any edging or border the grass will creep back real fast.Seems to me it would be a waste of money.Ive seen the white rock around it to but same thing without edging the rock rolls in the grass orweed will slowly creep in the rock.