new trimmer line

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stonewall, Dec 14, 2000.

1. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

My dealer gave me some string to demo put out by Silver Streak called Gator line. It's clear with a gray core that looks like wire, but he said it's not. Anybody else used this line?

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Haven't seen that. How well does it work?

Homer

3. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

Don't know yet. I haven't even put it in my trimmer. I told my dealer it may be 3 months before I can give him an honest opinion. We don't have much trimming to do down here in the winter.

4. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

I have used it before. Seeems ok to me.i just used a sample like you did myself.May buy a spool next year.:)

[Edited by cclllc on 12-16-2000 at 04:01 PM]

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

We used it and thought it was really great at first, but after using it awhile, we realized that it just didn't get a real good clean cut at the tip. While the side of the string, since it was was sharp, worked o.k. for scathing over ditches and such, the tip for going around trees just didn't stay sharp enough to get a crisp clean cut. You could even tell by listening to it that it wasn't staying sharp. When I finished the trimmer spool, and switched back to round .095, and it was like a whole different world. Once again I could make clean, predictable precise cuts-especially in intricate areas - much easier.

6. PIONEER

PIONEER LawnSite Member

I used some that I got at the show in Kentucky this summer,and it was alright. it held up good in ditches. But I like to use lighter string when I trim every week.

7. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

I used to attend/work for a University that used it after a recommendation from the highway department. For clearing ditches and other overgrown areas they were using an average of 5-6 heads of line. When they started using the new product the only had to use 1.5-2 heads of line.