New trimmer needed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dougcj7, May 8, 2011.

1. dougcj7

dougcj7 LawnSite Member

I'm not trying to start a brand war but I'm in the market for a new trimmer. I'm looking for the best bang for my buck under $400. Kind of leaning towards either the echo 280 or the Stihl FS110. What do ya all think? Mind you I live in southern florida and this trimmer will be used almost all year and I currently do 25 yards a week and have several homes with ditches too steep to mow and have to be done with the trimmer and sometimes I get the occasional call to clear a overgrown ditch that is around 14 to 18 inches tall. Does such a trimmer exist? Thanks for the help.

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

The best trimmer is the stihl fs-250r period. Nothing is even in the same class as this trimmer imo.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. Chevy z71

Chevy z71 LawnSite Fanatic

I would pick the stihl FS110.

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

4-mix are pieces of junk and won't last more than two seasons under heavy commercial use.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. dtc0207

dtc0207 LawnSite Member

No question I would go with Echo Stihl is the most overrated junk in the industry
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

No question I would go with redmax....echo is the most overrated junk in the industry followed by stihl
  7. grincon

grincon LawnSite Member

I would go with the stil because of the adjustable carb. it took me a months to figure out how to adjust the carb on my redmax. I like the redmax more now that i figured out how to adjust it. I dont care about the emission laws because if a trimmer runs fine at the shop after its adjusted doesnt mean its going to run good at a different location. emission laws are bs, I paid for the thing i should be able to have it run properly wherever I take it.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. RandallM

RandallM LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I agree with going Redmax if you have a dealer near by. I purchased one last year to go along with an Echo trimmer that I purchased the year before. No comparison between the two. The Redmax is lighter and has more power and the one I go to first.
  9. LaLawnGuy

LaLawnGuy LawnSite Member

I'm almost all Stihl, and I'd go with an fs100rx.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. thezaz

thezaz LawnSite Member

I have a echo and a stihl

Echo is ok and the Stihl 4 stroke runs like crap and rpm stinks. Had it looked at twice and still runs like junk. I would look into redmax. I use to be a Stihl guy but anything i have from the last few years on the market has given me problems.