New trimmer theory?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lars, Apr 23, 2004.

1. lars

lars LawnSite Member

First off, I don't do this personally, this is what one of my old bosses made me do.

He beleived that line trimmers ran better when you only used one line instead of two. He said that the head spun faster because of reduced load.

I think the opposite. First, two lines provide better balance. I could honestly feel the trimmer shake a little with one line. I'm assuming this lack of balance actually robbed the machine of power. Second, with one line, you're reducing your frequency of cut. Each time you're striking twice as much grass which should rob power and wear the line out more.

The only advantage of one line I see is reduced tangling. However, a properly wound two-string timmer is just as reliable.

So lets hear it. Does anyone believe that one line is better than two?
  2. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Would never use just one line on my Shinds. Seems to me, that the balance would be alot worse. Knew a dude here, that liked the one line (think he liked a bent-shaft, too. Some may like it better around flower beds. Not me.
  3. Zach76

Zach76 LawnSite Member

No way. I used to have to use an old one-liner at my dad's house growing up. That thing sucked. Even two lines in a POS trimmer can cut better than a nice trimmer with only one line IMO.
  4. vadeere

vadeere LawnSite Member

I have tried both ways and it seems that you have to bump the head more because the line breaks more often when running a single lin. Just my opinion.
  5. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Vadeere, see in your sig. a 2004 Exmark Metro 36 w/ duraslide. Is that like a Proslide? (sorry to sound ignorant, but never heard of one)
  6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have had one of the strings go inside the head and just finished the job this way. I hated it. As forementioned, it seem to break more often plus, I don't think it cuts nearly as well.
  7. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

iv finished jobs before too when one side ran out. With 2 strings ( like it was designed to have) is a much more efficient trimmer.
  8. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

i ran a weedeater with one line once. would never do it again.

why use less when you can use more. ?
  9. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I prefer one line for multiple reasons but I doubt anybody will agree so I won't bother explaining. If you use a manual head and remove some material on the line side they balance just fine.
  10. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Back in the mid 80's all trimmers had one line. Use to use Sthils and they had one trimmer that was great. Well they came out with the two line heads and when the dealer found a supply of the old style another service in town and myself bought all they had. I had five sitting in boxes at the shop. Loved those trimmers. Now of course I use the two head system like everyone else. Honestly, I do not think that trimmers are as good as they use to be.