new trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1999frontier, Apr 12, 2008.

1. 1999frontier

1999frontier LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I've got to buy a new trimmer today or early this coming up week and I'm needing some opinions. I had a Craftsman trimmer that I have been using for 5 years and it died yesterday. I do this part time and I only have 13 yards that I do and all are biweekly except for 3. I know I was probably one of the lucky ones to get 5 years out of a homeowners trimmer, but I was wondering if you would buy another one from sears, a husqvarna from lowes, sthil fs55r, or fs80r?

2. 1999frontier

from NC

I went to my local dealer yesterday and he was selling the fs 80r for $299.99. I called the place I bought my trailer from last year about 53 miles away and they are selling them for $249. I'm taking a road trip today.

3. DFLS

DFLS LawnSite Senior Member

My fs80r had nothing but problems. It lasted less than a year before I killed it. Get a Shinidawa with the easy to thread spool - just insert 20' of line and twist it on.

4. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Go find a Kawasaki KGT27A - the best power/weight/price ratio out there. :usflag:

5. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Craftsman is not the worst in the world BUT you should get a real commercial one. You need one today:

1) For about $200: Husqvarna 125L in Lowes or OSH, Echo SRM211 in Home Crapo and OSH.

2) For under $300: Echo SRM230(279), SRM260($299), Huqvarna 326L(269 on sale), Redmax BCZ2401, Stihl FS80, Shindaiwa T242.

I would spent more money because it is tax deductable anyway and if you take good care of it, you can get 5 years out of it anyway.

For light weight, Husqvana 326 is hard to beat. Redmax BCZ3001S at 29.5cc, 1.7hp at 11.2lb is very good. If you are strong:weightlifter:and don't mind the weight, Honda HHT25S $349 at 13lb is supper good!

Get one that is on sale from the list and I don't think you can go too wrong. Anything happen in the future, I don't know you:laughing::laughing::laughing:

6. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

My experience has been very high reliability with the Stihl FS80. Have one over 8 years old that I bought as a homeowner and still runs good, used for a backup. Have one 4 years old now that is my main trimmer. I'm solo but both are on the rack, just in case. I put a new carb on the older one, and rebuilt the carb on the newer one. Very satisfied, but don't know if I've just been lucky or not.

7. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I bought a Stihl FS100RX just a few weeks ago, so far I really like it. I have always had good luck with my stihl equipment. I bought the FS100RX for about $349. Just remember you get what you pay for.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

look at shindaiwa or stihl.
    Ive got the shindaiwa t242...great power to weight ratio.

9. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i've had good luck out of my shindaiwas

10. 1999frontier

from NC

I bought the Stihl fs80 today. Got it on sale for $249 plus a 3lb stihl trimmer line spool for free. They gassed it up before I left and I got home, pushed the primer bulb a few times and fired up first pull.